FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to Kona LH to television by composite

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jnorman16
FCP to Kona LH to television by composite
on Oct 15, 2006 at 4:04:09 am

Hi -

I have FCP and the Kona LH hooked up by a composite connection to a regular Sony NTSC television. The Kona control panel Analog Video Output is set to use secondary 525/29.97 and format is composite.

This setup has been working fine for DV footage, but now I'm working with DVCPRO HD footage and it's not working properly. With the Video Playback option in FCP set to AJA Kona 720p29.94 8 bit, I can get the tv to play a signal real-time, but there is a huge layer of noise on top of the video. The noise is about 28 or so vertical grey bars, each bar made of of smaller vertical bars flickering madly.

I just need this as a client monitor (until I can afford to get a proper monitor).

So I guess the first question is that the Kona LH send a downconverted DVCPRO HD signal out through a composite connection? If so, any suggestions over where to troublshoot?

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: FCP to Kona LH to television by composite
on Oct 15, 2006 at 2:50:43 pm

1) open up a 720p project (with easy setups DVCProHD)
2) select 720p bars
3) take the Y out of your KL box and send it to your TV
4) Kona Control Panel, control tab - set to FREE RUN just for now
5) Kona control panel, set analog out to Composite Y/C (not Betacam, or anything else).

Do you see color and a clean picture? If you don't and ASSUMING that your TV and video cable are actually ok, you may have a bad card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jnorman16
on Oct 15, 2006 at 4:22:44 pm

Hi Bob - thanks for the reply.

I set things up as you suggested, including a few other combinations, but I still don't get a clean image on my television screen. Here's a link to a picture I just took of what it looks like.

http://solidmirror.com/temp/KONA_LH_DVCPROHD_NTSC.jpg

What's missing in the still photo is that the tv is rapidly flickering as well.

So perhaps my card is damaged in some way, though I thought I read somewhere that the LH might have a problem sending an downconverted HD signal out through a composite connection. And DV NTSC footage gets sent out just fine. Have to keep digging.

Jim

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Oct 15, 2006 at 4:38:43 pm

Hello,

I would recommend contacting our support department on Monday. The KONA LHe is certainly capable of sending a downconverted 720 signal to its composite output. Perhaps there is a setting that is being overlooked, a cabling issue, or as Bob suggests, a problem with the card itself.

If you wish to contact supprt, they can be reached via email at support@aja.com, or via phone to +1 (530) 271-3190.

Thank you,

--
AJA Video Systems
(530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

jnorman16
on Oct 15, 2006 at 5:23:06 pm

Thanks, I will contact them.

To add to the mystery, I have the 'Default Kona Output' set to Black when an App is not using the card. When I've been outputting DV NTSC footage to the TV, the TV will go black when I close Final Cut Pro. But now I notice that if the last output format set was the DVCPRO HD, either through Final Cut or AJA KONA TV, then there is a noise pattern left on the TV. It looks like this.

http://solidmirror.com/temp/KONA_LH_DVCPROHD_Noise.jpg

So it looks like the downconvert from DVCPRO HD to NTSC causes the card to add this noise overlay to the image, even when the card should not be sending anything to the analog output stream. Strange.

Jim

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 15, 2006 at 10:28:03 pm

Hi Jim -
it is wonderful that you could post a picture of what is actually happening.
Let me suggest this. I am trying to determine if your TV is screwed up. Forget DVCProHD, and just go into easy setups and select something like Betacam 8 bit uncompressed NTSC, to get a SD image. Select color bars, and look at the output the same way (but now you are in a 525 SD project). Do the color bars on your TV look good now.

Before replacing the card, you really need to make sure that your TV and video cable are ok. You can simply plug in a cheapo VHS or DVD player to make sure the TV is ok (going thru the same video input on the TV).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jnorman16
on Oct 16, 2006 at 12:49:30 am

Hi Bob - good idea to check the tv to narrow the problem.

The tv is fine. I have a DSR-11 hooked up, a cable tv box as well. And the Kona card sends out a great video signal when I'm working on DV footage. It's just the DVCPRO HD footage that seems to mess it up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]