Kona LHe or DeckLink extreme

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mody
Kona LHe or DeckLink extreme
by
on Oct 14, 2006 at 7:43:24 am

Hello Friends

We have been using DekLink based cards for the last 3 years to our customers as a FCP system

We are very happy but since the last year a lot cards getting faulty . Since I am in support I needed to tell my bosses if at all we should look at another alternative.

Is the AJA Kona LHe as good or better in terms of features and stability, I see they say 12BIT analog. In India we do have a lot of Analog too. Any other more advantages since I dont have a Kona card I cannot say.

My larger needs are purely SD.

Also in a setup if thereare DeckLink extreme based system and if we add a KONA then will it be a problem in shifting/ colaborating projects.

I am not bothered of HD uncompressed since that is a different ball game. That kind of gear very few people have and there we are happy with Multibridge Extreme which is good so far. We like the external DVI functionality of the Multibrodge to make useof a 30" display use as a broadcast quality diplay and this works both on PC and Mac.

regards
Sanjay

Return to posts index

mody
I am sorry I meant KONA LS or DeckLink extreme
by
on Oct 14, 2006 at 7:44:50 am

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: I am sorry I meant KONA LS or DeckLink extreme
on Oct 14, 2006 at 5:39:05 pm

if you are using strickly SD, and don't care about HD at all, get the AJA I/O, which will give you more functionality than either the Kona LS or Decklink Extreme. If you want to use the 30" Cinema, you will need the Multibridge Extreme, which supports the DVI Dual Link connection for the 30" monitor.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

mody
by
on Oct 15, 2006 at 5:00:13 pm

Hello Bob

Thanks for your suggestion. We are not somehow too keen with fireWire based products , I prefer PCI cards. Also most importantly for us here I/o is more expensive its nearly double the price .

We have to decide between KONA LS or DeckLink extreme.

Please help me get a wider picture on the above cards

regards
Sanjay

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 15, 2006 at 5:28:17 pm

[mody] "Thanks for your suggestion. We are not somehow too keen with fireWire based products , I prefer PCI cards. Also most importantly for us here I/o is more expensive its nearly double the price .

We have to decide between KONA LS or DeckLink extreme.

Please help me get a wider picture on the above cards"

Both cards are dead-end technology and as soon as you purchase a new Mac, you'll need to replace the cards again. Not sure how your company works, but I really don't want to purchase a card today for a dead-end machine unless it's for just one project that will pay for it.

I second Bob's suggestion of the Io and if all you need is Analog SD, then you can get the Io LA which is what we have here in the shop. At least it will stay with you when you upgrade at a later date.

If you really really want the card, AJA's tech support alone along with their continuous updates of their drivers should be enough to convince you to go with the Kona. They're used in all manner of broadcast productions, including live productions, so their reliability is so strong that they can be put into deadline critical applications. We run four Kona cards right now and they are rock solid.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Oct 15, 2006 at 7:19:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks Walter!

Besides our technical support and 3-year international warranty, here are a few unique features to keep in mind if you choose to go with the KONA LSe:

- KONA LSe has 2-ch. balanced AES audio I/O via professional XLR connectors
- KONA LSe has both Y/C and composite output via a configurable 3x BNC output
- KONA LSe has the popular and easy to operate KONA Control Panel, which is a standlaone app to control the hardware functions of the card.
- KONA LSe has 12-bit analog DAC and ADC video processing.
- KONA LSe has two SDI outputs.
- KONA LSe has the optional KL-BOX breakout box. KL-BOX adds 2-ch. unbalanced RCA audio outputs, looping Genlock, and unbalanced AES on BNC.
- KL-BOX has a supplied 2-meter tether cable. An optional 5-meter tether cable is available, allowing the video/audio/RS422/genlock to be placed far away from the Mac.

Feel free to contact us if you need any further information.

Thank you,

--
AJA Video Systems
(530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

mody
by
on Oct 17, 2006 at 12:06:32 am

Walter Hi

As I said we and our customers know if they are in SD they will remain in SD it does not make sense to invest in HD capable card then might as well also buy that king of stoirage like Huge

We have nearly 225 SD systems now and no decklink customer has upgraded to HD capable , people who wated to go in for HD went straight away like hardly 10 systems DeckLink HDpro and now Multibridge. Because they need that kind of gear and no one will rent a HD deck that easiliy. Ohh not to forget 30 systems CineWaves ( the most unreliable card we have ever seen)

We have also made our own breakout box for the delink extreme since the cables are very delicate. It does not look as neat as Aja but it works with rough use.
We always find the decklink cables breaks.

DeckLink Extreme fits fine in budget . Kona I/O is the only one for us. since it has Analog and Digital ( we need both) but its expensive and as I said
there were some issues earlier of stability with regards to I/o and especially when doing offline in 24 frames in PAL

We cannot spend US 2k for I/O 800-900 $ is fine. Then another issue with I/o is that it is a seperate unit with a power source looking at our country with power problems, customs etc it becomes expensive to maintain for our customers. PCI card better The frieght and little duty of sending and recieving defective I/O will cost is nearly 400$ every time.

So I hope you now know how our company works

I still didnt get to know what I wanted to know. Is KONA Lse really better than the Extreme. Which ways.

regards
Sanjay

Return to posts index

Eimantas
on Oct 19, 2006 at 8:46:11 pm

It was very interesting to read your posts.
I'm using DeckLink extreme with analog i/o (Beta SP) and Vegas 6.
And Extreme does not work correctly.

I have audio sync problems (when capturing).
When printing to tape there is very loud output (you need to cut 10db in project cause there is not posible ajustments in audio preferences)and there is small interference.
I think that is Sony Vegas problems

In vegas 7 as I was told by Blackmagic support there is no possibility to capture analog input with Extreme at all (just only SD and HDV).
Sony fotgot it? :)

Now I'm interesting in AJA.
Have you tested AJA with Vegas?
Does AJA work correctly with Vegas 7 or 6?
Is there analog i/o?
That's questions more for AJA guys

Thanks for response in advance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]