FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and Kona not outputting TRUE 10BPC?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christopher karcher
FCP and Kona not outputting TRUE 10BPC?
on Oct 13, 2006 at 12:05:20 am

We just finished a series of political spots for several clients. After seeing red graphics all week, we have been really perplexed because the QuickTime 10BPC codec is not truly trillions of colors- most reds (NTSC legal) all have major artifacting and look horrible. We were able to get the spots out, but only after changing the FCP timeline to the AJA RGB codec. I should also mention that we've tried all the usual sequence settings to no avail.

we've got a call in th aja Tech support, but I'm wondering if any of you had similar issues? I personally think it's a FCP/ quicktime thing.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: FCP and Kona not outputting TRUE 10BPC?
on Oct 13, 2006 at 12:07:34 am

What versions (qt/fcp) are you using?

Return to posts index

christopher karcher
on Oct 13, 2006 at 3:26:15 pm

we're using QT 7.13 and FCP 5.1.2

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 13, 2006 at 12:47:42 am

Are you running FCP 5.1.2? If so, turn off RT Extreme for the 10bit codec. I posted in the FCP forum that there is an issue with RT Extreme causing all renders on our systems to be degraded. Turning off RT Extreme for the 8bit codec cleaned up all our 8bit renders.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

christopher karcher
on Oct 13, 2006 at 2:40:48 pm

Ok, I gave it a shot, but even with RT extreme off, the 10Bit uncompressed apple codec is causing major stairstepping. Only by changing the sequence setting to AJA RGB 10 bit and setting the video processing to RGB does the quality improve. strangeness!

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 13, 2006 at 3:07:41 pm

What versions of qt & fcp?

Return to posts index

christopher karcher
on Oct 13, 2006 at 3:27:21 pm

we're using QT 7.13 and FCP 5.1.2

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 13, 2006 at 3:47:06 pm

Just making sure as there have been some updates to the apple uncompressed codec. Since you are up to date it's a non issue. Has any of your material come from after effects? If so have you changed to color to trillions (and modified the preferences if necessary?)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

christopher karcher
on Oct 13, 2006 at 4:32:06 pm

yes, trillions in AE( using the modified prefs file). however, even when displaying a still graphic(trillions PSD) it still is a problem unless using the RGB (kona) and setting the timeline to RGB rendering.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 13, 2006 at 11:37:25 pm

Are you sure your external view is set to 10 bit? I just wrapped up a 10 bit project and had no problems. Everything looked awesome actually.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Oct 14, 2006 at 3:07:01 am

I've as well noticed that fcp has this problem with reds. They seem as if they are rendered in DV, even though my sequence and render settings are set in 10Bit Uncompressed. I too switched to RGB rendering to "solve" the problem in a bind. i also got strange artifacts around imported graphic elements while in 10Bit. I'll post a still of this artifacting on monday once im back at work.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 14, 2006 at 3:24:40 am

[Alexander Serpico] " i also got strange artifacts around imported graphic elements while in 10Bit"

I had a bit of that w/layered PSD files. I changed the color space from CMYK to RGB in photoshop and it fixed it. All other graphics imported just fine.

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Oct 14, 2006 at 3:48:53 am

Now that i try and recall, i think this was a layered psd file also that caused the problem. Does anyone know what technically is going wrong to cause this? Rendering in RGB is potentially a big problem on things which color accuracy is crucial. Going back to the other problem with reds looking terrible, what is causing that? I've noticed this also with red graphics created in Live Type or Motion. I might be remembering incorrectly, but i think i've even tried to comp them together in Shake, but the problem persisted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]