FORUMS: list search recent posts

downconvert to DBeta issue

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
downconvert to DBeta issue
on Oct 12, 2006 at 12:24:52 am

Hi all,

For the first time, I'm trying to downconvert a 1080i project for realtime output to DBeta. The outputs of the Kona-2 are all set to SD, but the DBeta deck isn't seeing the picture...also it appears to lose sync when I switch from the NTSC 10 bit SD easy setup to the DVCProHD 1080i easy setup, even though the Kona Control Panel is set to downconvert.

The Kona-2 downconvert IS working, at least on the component outputs which I use to monitor. Just can't get it to work out to the DBeta.

I'm sure there's an easy answer to this one, but being my first time doing this I can't seem to find it. Any help appreciated.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: downconvert to DBeta issue
on Oct 12, 2006 at 12:52:04 am

If you're seeing the signal on the Component, then your SDI outputs are also feeding out SD correctly. All the outputs are hot and all show the same signal.

So something is not set up correctly on the DBeta machine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Oct 12, 2006 at 1:05:50 am

The Kona-2 SDI is normalled into the DBeta machine, and I can see the output of the Kona-2 through the deck as long as my easy setup is NTSC SD. When I switch to the DVCProHD easy setup, the picture goes away, and so does sync.

Do you normally have to change something on the DBeta deck when you change from an SD to HD setup?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 12, 2006 at 1:28:00 am

[Joe Murray] "When I switch to the DVCProHD easy setup, the picture goes away, and so does sync."

Ok, you do the Downconversion using the AJA Kona Control Panel, NOT via FCP.

You leave FCP set up in DVCPro HD.

You go into the AJA Kona Control Panel and set up your secondary output to SD (525) and then switch to that secondary output in the Control Panel.

Your digibeta is not happy because it's seeing an HD signal instead of a downconverted SD signal

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 12, 2006 at 1:28:28 am

Hey Joe, it's all a matter of using the Kona control panel correctly. With your HD easy setup chosen in FCP, open up your KOna Control Panel. Then on whatever output your digibeta machine is going to, control click on that output icon (the triangle) and choose 525i. You should see a little downconvert icon on that pipe. Now you can monitor HD on your monitor and your digibeta deck should be getting an SD SDI signal. You can choose any combination on those outputs (two SD one HD, all HD, all SD, two HD one SD, etc.)

Have fun

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
update: Re: downconvert to DBeta issue
on Oct 12, 2006 at 8:31:11 pm

As it turns out, this particular problem was a driver issue. Although I had a Kona Control Panel installed, it was not properly communicating with the card so wasn't telling it to downconvert. Reinstall of the drivers fixed the problem. I know, should have tried that first, but under pressure of deadline thought a ping to the Cow would also be a good idea.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: update: Re: downconvert to DBeta issue (levels)
on Oct 13, 2006 at 8:32:00 pm

Joe,

How are the levels on the D-Beta downconvert?

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]