FORUMS: list search recent posts

PVM monitors vs Luma?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CharlieX2
PVM monitors vs Luma?
on Oct 11, 2006 at 9:14:25 pm

I'm going to build out an edit bay for a studio, and it's been 3 years since I did the last one.... I'm having trouble finding PVM's out there... instead most places are offering up the Luma series.

Has anyone used these in SD? How does it deal with interlace? Especially 3:2??

Or can anyone suggest a place to pick up a PVM? I know CRT's are going extinct.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: PVM monitors vs Luma?
on Oct 11, 2006 at 9:21:14 pm

The Sony PVM series is dead. You might be able to find them at bcs.tv which is a used broadcast supplier. We have two and will keep them till they die.

I've not heard anything good about the Sony Luma series as they cannot reproduce true black.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Panasonic series of LCD monitors which you see advertised all over the Cow. I'll say that our Pansonic Plasma screen can very accurately reproduce what our PVM 20/L5 HD monitor shows.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Oct 11, 2006 at 9:26:00 pm

Thanks Walter... I'll look into the Panasonics. We have so many PVM's in our old bays, and they keep cranking year-in and year-out.

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Oct 11, 2006 at 9:40:49 pm

B&H still reports some 20" PVM in stock.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 11, 2006 at 10:18:32 pm

[CharlieX2] "
B&H still reports some 20" PVM in stock."

They're SD only, no HD. If that works for you, you're ok. If you want multiformat HD/SD, those are not the right ones.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 12, 2006 at 1:47:58 am

The 20" PVM's that B+H has are the old PVM-20L2, which can NEVER to HD-SDI. The Luma LDM-232 is a horrible piece of crap - HD looks fine, but SD looks TERRIBLE on it. I urge you to look at the Panasonic BT-LH2600W or BT-LH1700. These two Pana LCD monitors handle interlaced video very well - if you are looking for an LCD that can do SD, this is one of the few (if only) LCD's that can do it properly.

I was one of the first to use Sony PVM's when everyone was still using Ikegami and Barco and ASASA, back in the day. So I am more disappointed than anyone that Sony no longer makes a usable monitor. Those that own the PVM-20L5/1 are very lucky. The Sony Luma series is not only a poor image, but it's functionality (because of only a single input) is rediculous (it may say composite component on the front panel, but there is only one input, not including the "option cards" for HD). I don't know what they were thinking when they did this, considering their amazing history.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

dan brockett
on Oct 12, 2006 at 3:45:25 am

Hi Bob:

Yes, I remember those days of Barco and Ikegamis. Kind of strange, Sonys PVM/BVMs were hands down the best monitors available for the buck. Panasonic CRTs were dogs. Now the tables have turned, Sonys are basically useless and Panasonic has come to rule the roost.

Boy, things sure have changed.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Scott Shucher
on Oct 12, 2006 at 4:23:51 am

I can confirm the above comments. I use both monitors on a daily basis.

For critical evaluation the PVM20L5 is a lot of monitor for the buck. SD or HD, both look good.

Comparitively speaking, the Luma series (23" wide screen) doesn't look nearly as good in HD, mainly due to poor black level reproduction. SD in the Luma monitor just looks plain terrible.

If you're serious about buying one, I know a technician who has an extra lightly used PVM20L5 he might be willing to part with. He bought it new from B&H. Contact me via e-mail at: applecart@comcast.net
and I can pass along contact info to you.

G5 2.5ghz DP, 2.5Gbyte RAM, FCP 5.0.2, OSX.4.3
QT7.01, Kona2 w/Kbox, Atto UL3D, Medea RTRX640, Huge MV 1.8Tbyte, Radeon 9800XT

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Oct 12, 2006 at 7:17:44 pm

Sony seems to be having a terrible time lately... exploding batteries, a whole slew of personal electronics that are passed over by tech-savvy consumers, their stock has been slipping in Japan...

I'm stymied that they'd discontinue the mid-end CRT's when they don't have an alternative that's 100% as good. reality check is that most of us are still doing 85% SD work. And practially everyone is editing SD for HD finishes so we don't have to upgrade offline bays.

Thanks for the warnings!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 12, 2006 at 7:20:42 pm

[CharlieX2] "I'm stymied that they'd discontinue the mid-end CRT's when they don't have an alternative that's 100% as good. reality check is that most of us are still doing 85% SD work. And practially everyone is editing SD for HD finishes so we don't have to upgrade offline bays."

International environmental laws prohibit the use of the phosphors that are in the CRT's I believe at the end of this year or next. Sony, and pretty much everyone else has used this opportunity to jump both feet first into plasma and LCD.

Personally, I think plasma is closer to CRT than LCD especially with black reproduction, though the Panasonic 1700 and 2600 monitors sure look sweet.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]