FORUMS: list search recent posts

2k playback at 25fps

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Bridges
2k playback at 25fps
on Oct 10, 2006 at 8:10:40 pm

Hi,

We're playing back 2k dpx sequences (wrapped at 25) in a 25fps timeline. Our HD monitor is giving us a signal at 24fps. This is probably a stupid question, but how is the Kona displaying this? Is it dropping frames? Some kind of pulldown? It's difficult to tell with the material we've got.

It'd be very useful to have native 25fps support in any case. Anyone else from PAL land and dealing with movies shot at 25?

Thanks,

Tom

Split Image
http://www.split-image.co.uk

Return to posts index

stjernholm
Re: 2k playback at 25fps
on Oct 11, 2006 at 7:07:42 am

I have the same question. With a LH card, is it possible to run 25 fps HD stuff ??

Kind Regards

Morten Stjernholm

Stjernholm Media Products

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 12, 2006 at 11:03:09 am

[stjernholm] "With a LH card, is it possible to run 25 fps HD stuff ??"

Aja has supported 25fps in 625(SD) and 1080(HD) for for years, and now that Final Cut Pro has started supporting the new 720p25 standards adopted by the EU all of the Kona Boards follow suit.

Your LH card does not support a 2k production workflow however.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 11, 2006 at 10:47:38 am

Tom

you should contact Tech support on this one but it is my assumption that the 2K workflow was designed to not play faster than 24.0 fps.
Even when the film is shot at 25 fps, film playback is still universally 24 around the world. Note that the telecine capture into the K3 is just 15 fps, matching current telecine transfer speeds over HSDL.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Tom Bridges
on Oct 12, 2006 at 4:14:05 pm

[gary adcock] "Even when the film is shot at 25 fps, film playback is still universally 24 around the world."

Thanks Gary. You're right, of course. I shot the film at 25 originally because I never originally envisaged a film out, and it made life easier to edit in PAL. I'll conform it to 24.

All the best,

Tom

Split Image
http://www.split-image.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]