FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja Kona LH for Mac Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Profectus
Aja Kona LH for Mac Pro
on Oct 6, 2006 at 4:27:16 pm

Hello!

I know I have the same questions as many others but I just want to make sure I get it right.
I have a studio using now a G5 dual core 2.3 with a decklink extreme card , soft Raid for 2x 500 G capacity and a brand new Mac Pro with 5 G memory with soft Raid for 2x 500 G capacity. We are running now a TV series shot on HDV which requires lot of space, speed, etc. My main problem is that although I have a Sony HVR M10E deck I can't see the playback from the computer through the firewire via deck to monitor. I would need a card for that as I understand (like Decklink Intensity?). But, if I buy a card it should be one that I can use in the future where we plan to have some HD productions. Which I would love to capture uncompressed 4:4:4 (is that the full uncompressed format?) at the end of the production - to batch digitise - (make the edit online) and then put it back on an HD support. Would the Aja kona LH do it? And what is the relationship with Kona 3 or Kona 2?

Thank you and sorry for keeping your time,

Profectus

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Aja Kona LH for Mac Pro
on Oct 6, 2006 at 9:28:03 pm

The LH is single link (4:2:2) not dual link (4:4:4). You could use the LH to capture uncompressed 4:2:2 HD, yes, but not 4:4:4. I don't see the point in taking HDV to 4:4:4 but perhaps you have some grand plans. You can read about the Kona Lh and HDV here:

http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/AJA_whitepaper_HDV.pdf

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 6, 2006 at 10:13:28 pm

In the future, when you are ready to do uncompressed HD, working at 4:4:4, the capture card is the least of your financial worries. You will need an expensive Sony SR VTR, as well as a massive disk drive array. Your two 500 Gig drives will not do uncompressed HD, and certainly not 4:4:4 uncompressed. And by the time you grow your company to have this demand, new equipment will be out. So worry about what you need right now.

The Decklink Intensity WILL do HD via a HDMI cable. If you are doing HDV right now, the Kona LH and LHe will take in the analog HD signal from the HVRM-10 VTR, with a lot less aggrivation than via firewire. You can use firewire for your VTR control. When your company grows, you will get the Kona 3 and a Sony SR5500 VTR. But for right now, I would not buy a Kona 3 if I was you. The Kona LH or LHe for your HDV VTR is just fine.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Profectus
on Oct 9, 2006 at 7:34:42 am

Thank you both very much. I agree with you. I will buy a Aja Kona LH.

It's nice to have informed friends around!

Profectus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]