FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 and Digibeta deck

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caropillar
Kona 3 and Digibeta deck
on Oct 5, 2006 at 6:54:13 pm

Hi! Sorry if I sound completely ignorant but I am just stepping into this world and barely have gotten my feet wet...
I am trying to digitize from a digibeta tape into Final Cut Pro 5. Our suite was JUST set up and we are missing a router (long story it's coming in December) so we have to connect the Kona 3 (on a G5) directly to each deck individually. When I connect the digibeta SDI out to the Kona SDI in I can't get it to work. The deck flashes "No Video Input" and when I try to Log and Capture the screen says "No Communication". I was told by the people who set up the equipment up that this was all I had to do to get it to work. Is there some kind of Easy setup I need to be using? Help!
Thanks(:

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona 3 and Digibeta deck
on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:51:52 pm

Wow, who set up your suite? Call them back and have them set it up properly.

The deck flashes no video in because you haven't said if you have connected the Kona video OUT to the digibeta deck IN (you have stated the reverse). It really doesn't matter as you want to get video OUT of your deck. You have to then take the RS-422 serial port of the Kona and connect that to the Rs-422 serial port of the deck, otherwise you will get a no communication error.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Caropillar
on Oct 5, 2006 at 8:21:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback, maybe you could help me out some more( ; I forgot to mention that the Kona Deck Control Rs-422 serial port and deck Rs-422 serial port are both connected to an Ocean Matrix switcher. I am no longer getting the "No Communication" error in FCP and am able to control the deck though FCP. Only problem is I can't SEE anything in the player now when I try to Log and Capture! Are there any settings I should have set up for my Kona Card or in my Easy Setup?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 5, 2006 at 8:25:12 pm

[Caropillar] " Are there any settings I should have set up for my Kona Card or in my Easy Setup? "

Yes. First of all, you have the latest Kona drivers for your particular version of the Kona card downloaded and install from aja.com...yes? If that is the case select a Kona easy setup that will suit you (such as 10bit uncompressed NTSC, DV NTSC, Dv50 PAL or whatever resolution and frame rate you want to work in) by hitting control-q.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Caropillar
on Oct 5, 2006 at 8:46:56 pm

OK I have the easy setup set how I want it. What about for the Kona Control Panel? DO I need to change any settings there?

Thanks again for your feedback, I know I probably sound really dumb.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 5, 2006 at 8:57:12 pm

Nope, you don't. It can be a daunting task. Double check your connections. You have the digibeta SDI out going to your Kona SDI in, correct, or is the video going through a switcher too?

Return to posts index

Caropillar
on Oct 5, 2006 at 9:30:24 pm

The Kona deck control and deck remote are connected to the switcher. Should I disconnect the digibeta from the switcher? Then I have the deck SDI output connected to the Kona SDI input. When I check the Kona Control Panel it has a red line going from the SDI In to the RGBA and a blue line going to the SDI out...could it be a setting in the Kona Control Panel? BTW...you rock.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 5, 2006 at 9:34:44 pm

that means that you aren't getting an SDI signal through the switcher. The Deck control you said you have working, so keep that the same. Connect the digibeta deck straight to the kona and see if you get a signal. If you get a good video signal, then you need to figure out what the problem is with the switcher. If you don't then we move on to figure out if it's the deck or the Kona.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Caropillar
on Oct 5, 2006 at 9:48:43 pm

OK i got it to work...the Kona card was loose and need to be jiggled in place!! But now I have another issue, I don't hear any audio!

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 5, 2006 at 9:54:25 pm

Go into your Kona control panel and find the input tab change it from AES/EBU XLR to embedded.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Caropillar
on Oct 5, 2006 at 10:02:44 pm

It works now!( :

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.

You are the best. I wish I could hug you right now!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 5, 2006 at 10:45:55 pm

It's a crime that Mr. Caropillar had to suffer like this. The "people that set up his system" should not be selling AJA products.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]