FORUMS: list search recent posts

Did a low rez HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CohesionBrian
Did a low rez HD
on Oct 5, 2006 at 3:32:29 pm

I am editing a music video, and it was all shot on HDCAM. I captured all of the footage using the 23.98 DVCPRO HD codec to minimize drive space. Now I have the timeline finished, and I went back to recapture the used footage at uncompressed 1920x1080. What I got was not what I expected. The footage in the timline looks squished and scaled up. Did I do something wrong here?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Did a low rez HD
on Oct 5, 2006 at 4:12:13 pm

Did you media manage your timeline? How did you recapture?

Return to posts index

CohesionBrian
on Oct 5, 2006 at 4:30:25 pm

I didn't do media manager, I just selected all of the clips in the timeline and right clicked to capture at uncompressed quality. I am now currently doing media mananger, and hopefully recapture all media files at full rez.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 5, 2006 at 4:50:14 pm

Your timeline is still set for DVCPRo HD then. It's best to media manage your timeline and set it up for uncompressed, then recapture.

Return to posts index

CohesionBrian
on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:30:02 pm

That is the worflow that I did, and then reconnected the media in the timeline to the recaptured footage, but it still didn't look right. In the timeline, each clip was still at the DVC PRO aspect ratio, instead of square, even though the clip was captured as uncompressed HD.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:46:58 pm

Even though tony is right, it really doesn't pertain to you as the HDCam codec is not made available for native HDCam editing. What you have is a DVCPRo HD timeline that has it's own rasterization. What you need to do is media manage your DVCPRO HD timeline into an uncompressed timeline (use the uncompressed 23.98 timeline setting). This will get rid of any rasterization in your timeline and on your clips. Your clips and timeline will come in full raster 1920x1080 as that's how they are coming through HD SDI.

There is a write up of this process is here:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/basic_onlining_jordan.html

Some of the screens/options have changed a bit as this was written for FCP4, but you will get the idea.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Oct 5, 2006 at 6:28:43 pm

HDCAM records anamorphically 1080x1440 not full raster 1080x1920.

Similar to what dvcpro HD does by recording anamorphically at 720x960 instead of 720x1280.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]