FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconvert for SD Monitor

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Brooks
Downconvert for SD Monitor
on Oct 5, 2006 at 1:04:12 pm

I have no HD monitor as yet. I have a DVCProHD 720p 59.94 sequence. Analog out is set to downconvert to 525 29.97. The letterboxed image is sitting down at the bottom edge of my standard def Sony monitor instead of vertically centered. Is that normal? Should I use the vertical timing adjust to center it? I'm using a black burst gen for ref.

Final Cut Studio, FCP 5.2.1, After Effects 6.5 Pro, Quicktime 7, G5 Quad 2.5, Kona-LHe V3, 4.5GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800-GT, G-RAID 2x1TB FW800.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Downconvert for SD Monitor
on Oct 5, 2006 at 1:14:33 pm

That's not correct, it should be centered. Not really sure what to tell you as I've never seen or heard of this. Call AJA Tech Support and see what they say. Great folks.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 5, 2006 at 1:17:32 pm

Will do. Thanks.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 5, 2006 at 1:28:13 pm

Just to be sure, you have FCP set up for a 720p DVCPRO HD 59.94 Kona easy setup. Then you have opened your Kona control panel and selected your secondary format as 525i29.97 and then you set your analog out to the secondary format? You can also control click on the control panel on the analog output icon and set the output for 525i29.97. Just make sure that FCP is setup for 720p. Reference shouldn't make a difference here. You can try setting the Kona to freerun and see if that changes it but it shoudn't.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 5, 2006 at 1:43:16 pm

Yes, that's the setup I used. I tried free run -- no change. The analog out is going to a Beta-SP vtr and the monitor is composite coming off that. I know, my bosses are cheap. The Beta gets ref video also. It has been OK for SD with that setup and I don't get any strange offset. I don't see why the downconverted output should be any different from the primary ---unless there is always a timing shift on downconvert (which would not be surprising). Let me try a couple things and report back to you.

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: Downconvert Fixed
on Oct 5, 2006 at 2:16:12 pm

I took the Beta out of the output loop and went straight into a Sony PVM component monitor. It's fine that way. The low-budget monitor hookup was the problem, although I couldn't tell you exactly why. At any rate, this is more like the manual suggests it should be and it works. Thanks for confirming that there was definitely something amiss with the jury rigged method.
-Tom

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Oct 6, 2006 at 3:13:31 pm

Hi:

Was it by any chance a UVW-1800 deck? They are notorious for having a rolling picture, sometimes even when you are feeding them sync. Mine does stuff like that all of the time whether I feed it fresh sync from a BB generator or just loop the deck's output to itself as a reference signal.

Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 6, 2006 at 5:28:45 pm

Yes it was. The image always seemed to be at the same place, though. It never fell into another position or changed during playback. It's a mystery, but a fixed one for now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]