FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 Audio isues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Wilson
Kona 3 Audio isues
on Oct 4, 2006 at 9:43:36 pm

Hello all,

Mac Pro with Kona 3, Atto Raid controller and lots of drives. Often when I play the timeline I get audio crackling. I can stop and restart the playback and most times that clears things up, but is most frustrating. Talked to the AJA guys and they've not heard of anyone else with this issue so I thought I'd see if all is well with you all. Happens to me at least a third of the times I hit play. No MP3s in sequence thought there are 12 audio tracks of which 8 can be with sound at once.

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona 3 Audio isues
on Oct 4, 2006 at 11:04:20 pm

the original K Boxes used to have crackling out of the analog monitor outputs. Change your reference to FREE RUN in the Kona control panel to see if your crackle goes away. Could be a reference issue (and the jar of worms that opens up). Of course, trash preferences.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Plowden
on Oct 8, 2006 at 8:48:15 am

I have K3 hooked up to quad G5 and occassionally have the same problem. However, it only happens maybe once or twice a day (although I have had it happen over and over when I'm trying to output for a client!!). AJA always points to reference, but I think that is a cop out -- my reference works with avids, and digibeta decks and beta decks, so I know the reference is good. If their card is so sensitive that it can't accept legal reference, they should put out their own black gererator (or tweak the card so it can use the same reference that is good for every other piece of pro video!) I digress, basically, if you talk to Kona again, feel free to tell them that someone else has the same problem. If it is happening 1 of 3 plays, you should swap the card.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 8, 2006 at 3:32:00 pm

hey plowden -
I am not saying it's not AJA's fault, and I ain't saying that AJA should not be so sensitive to sync, but I AM telling you that it is probably a sync reference issue (blame AJA all you want) - simply go to FREE RUN and see if the audio problem crap goes away. You might also see lots of "hi error rates" on output to a Digi Beta VTR from the Kona - this is ALSO a symptom of the reference problem. I found this at a facility that had one Kona FCP system and one AVID system - so I know too that the sync gen ( a Sigma BSG-26N) was just fine. I am just saying that Don should go to FREE RUN just to see what is up (and if his problem goes away).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Oct 9, 2006 at 2:06:32 am

Been on Free Run most of the time. If needed, I've got good ref, tri-level in fact. This issue just cropped up with the Universal Binary betas and releases. The support guys are looking into it and will come up with something I'm sure. I'll give a call tomorrow. Just looking for others who've had the issue to try and eliminate the card as it's my third. First was too early of a production run to work in the Mac Pro and we tried to eliminate a shut down issue with a couple of others which turned out to be driver related and now solved.

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com

Return to posts index

Tim Langston
on Oct 12, 2006 at 2:30:47 pm

I've had this to some degree in the past but now, just today I can't seem to get rid of the crackling. I'm on a G5 Quad FCS 5.1.1 with 4 gig ram, OS 10.4.7 and the latest Kona drivers, 8 SATA II drives hooked onto a Sonnet E4P. I've switched to Freerun but no luck. I also tried some audio clips through ITunes which resulted in the same crackling.

Any news on this problem?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.colproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]