FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing 3 languages at once

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hill
Capturing 3 languages at once
on Oct 3, 2006 at 5:29:38 pm

I'm looking to record live shows straight to a Final Cut laptop. The problem is, we're starting to do the shows in three languages. It's sports, meaning we have 6 talent (1 play by play and 1 color for each language), but it boils down to 3 stereo analog feeds and 1 video feed (SDI).
Typically we air the English version live and record the Spanish/Portugese versions on DigiBeta to be aired separately on a different date. Now we want to record all three versions straight to a file, as the Spanish/Portugese delivery will all be file based soon.
I have an AJA Io, but would be willing to invest in other equipment if I can't get it to work for my needs.
Here's the question: How do I do it? How do I take 6 channels of analog audio and 1 SDI video feed and capture it all onto Final Cut Pro?

I'm new to the AJA thing, so I might not sound intelligent asking the questions, but I'd appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks
Scott

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Capturing 3 languages at once
on Oct 3, 2006 at 7:15:02 pm

The io only supports 4 channels of analog audio in (or 8 channels of embedded audio through SDI/optical). So what you need to do is find an 6 or 8 channel audio embedder that will convert your analog audio to optical and then capture your video through SDI and your audio through optical in 3 stereo pairs (or 6 discreet, whatever). A quick search on the infraweb came up with this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ECHLAYLA3G/image--Rear

or

You will need something like a kona card and a bunch of audio D/As. the Kona card will support up to 8 channels of AES audio (or 16 channels of embedded SDI audio). So what you would need to do is take 3 2-channel Analog to Digital Audio converters (such as the M-Audio flying cow) and connect a Kona AES input to each one (each AES XLR connection supports two channels of audio). Then send each different language of audio to each flying cow. You can then capture the video over SDI and capture the audio in three stereo pairs over AES.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 4, 2006 at 12:30:09 am

my 2 cents

Will you need to have different inserts of the announcers? you cannot show the english version with the spanish language underneath. To me it sounds as if you need more than one rig, for recording.

However
why not record as 4 channels normal and then use a second rig to record the other versions - just run a "clockit" box so every machine has the same TC on it.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Scott Hill
on Oct 4, 2006 at 3:27:33 pm

We're sending these games to South and Central America via satellite with 6 channels of audio. Then the cable companies that downlink the feed can choose 2 of the 3 languages to broadcast (one primary and another on SAP). So yes, I do need all 6 channels together.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]