FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVC-PRO HD 1080 23.98 DOWNCONVERSION to DVCAM via DSR-11

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pierre
DVC-PRO HD 1080 23.98 DOWNCONVERSION to DVCAM via DSR-11
on Oct 2, 2006 at 3:46:26 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to downconvert a DVC-PRO HD 1080 23.98 timline to mini dvcam utilizing the KONA 3 and the DSR-11 dvcam deck.

Is this possible? I would thing the DSR-11 would have to be hooked up the the KONA... but the Kona doesn't have firewire I/O.
So will the KONA see the DSR-11 through the firewire on my mac? Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: DVC-PRO HD 1080 23.98 DOWNCONVERSION to DVCAM via DSR-11
on Oct 3, 2006 at 2:08:12 am

Let the DVCPro VTR do the 2:3 pulldown, and simply make a dub from the composite out of the AJ-HD1200 or AJ-HD1400 into the composite input of the DSR-11. Now you have your tape. I assume this project is for television, so you don't need to work at 23.98 - you can work (even when you remaster at HD) at 59.94 - the Panasonic VTR will do the 2:3 pulldown for you in composite, and in HD.

If you are already digitized into the FCP system at 23.98 (mistake) - then simply go to the Audio Video settings, choose the playback tab, and choose a 29.97 output, and the Kona will output from the "Y" BNC a composite signal (if you choose this in the Kona Control Panel) to go into the composite input of your DSR-11. This ain't gonna happen thru the Firewire port on your DSR-11.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Oct 3, 2006 at 5:45:07 pm

Why is 23.98 (in this circumstance) wrong?
That's what the footage is in it's native form and that's what the FCP sequence is too.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 3, 2006 at 6:18:55 pm

23.98 is not wrong, but conventional products (like VCR's, and your TV at home, and the DSR-11) don't work at 24p. This is why pulldown was created (back in the film transfer days - which of course still exist). Unless you are releasing at 24 frames per second, there is just no reason to work at a frame rate that can't be used by Beta, Digi Beta, VHS, and almost every TV monitor that you can think of (which is what your market is, unless you are releasing a theatrical release). You ain't gonna get 23.98 recorded on a DSR-11, or even a more professional VTR, like a DSR-1800. These products are all designed to work at normal 29.97 frame rates, so unless you do the 2:3 pulldown - using the VTR, or using your AJA card to do it - you are not going to get a dub on a DSR-11.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 3, 2006 at 6:46:51 pm

But there's been some noise about how some things are getting rejected to do inconsistent pulldown cadences (i've never seen this personally myself). Meaning if you are editing material that was shot 24p with 3:2 pulldown and you start editing at 60i, the pulldown cadence will be inconsistent. Working in 24p native and then laying off to tape will create a consistent cadence across the tape. This means that you can then also recapture to 24p off of that master if you ever need to for whatever reason. Plus as an editor, i like that 24p material takes up less bandwidth, and disk space, plus compositing and green screen keys works nice with progressive material. I think the reasons for working in 24p in video are plentiful and with tools/hardware/naming & numbering schemes such as AJA, FCP, Cinema Tools, advanced pulldown, rp-188, P2 Native frame rates, working with 24p is not a hassle at all and I find it a more creative and versatile way to work. Also, going to PAL is a lot easier with 24p material than standard NTSC material if that ever fits into your workflow.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 3, 2006 at 11:55:01 pm

[JeremyG] "But there's been some noise about how some things are getting rejected to do inconsistent pulldown cadences (i've never seen this personally myself)."

I have, but the only thing I have seen rejected was footage shoot at 24pA and posted at 29.97
that cadence seems to get flagged everytime.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 3, 2006 at 11:56:48 pm

[Michael Pierre] "Why is 23.98 (in this circumstance) wrong?
That's what the footage is in it's native form and that's what the FCP sequence is too."

There is no SMPTE delivery format for anything other than 29.97 in the NTSC world.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Oct 4, 2006 at 5:32:02 am

I probably wasn't very clear. I wasn't really concerned with the frame rate. I knew it would be converted... I just wasn't sure how the hell to do it?
This is a theatrical piece so we'll finish on HDCAM-SR and then it'll be digitally projected. We just needed to get our project onto DVCAM period.
I figured out how to do it through the KONA card and I must say it looked pretty nice too!

Thanks!
Michael

Return to posts index

J. Moulins
on Oct 16, 2006 at 7:04:28 pm

Michael, care to summarize how you got your project out to the DSR-11?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]