FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona Card in Avid Xpress Pro HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Allen
AJA Kona Card in Avid Xpress Pro HD
on Oct 1, 2006 at 7:51:46 pm

I just installed Avid Xpress Pro HD on my system and to my surprise it partially recognized my Kona2 card. I was actually able to get machine control with it thru RS422. There was a Kona option in the input but it was greyed out. Are we getting close to Avid using the Kona card as an Io? Does anyone know something about this?

Return to posts index

uncompressed
Re: AJA Kona Card in Avid Xpress Pro HD
on Oct 1, 2006 at 9:51:51 pm

you won't get the two to work together. save some time.

many people who use both FCP and Avid have a "hybrid" or dual boot--have one avid drive and one FCP.

AJA also has a stand alone application, VTR Exchange. that may work fine along side, but not holding hands and working from inside of avid. use the kona card to log capture to something Avid can use for media. then switch to avid for your editing if that is the application you desire.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 2, 2006 at 1:31:32 am

They're not going to work together. Kona only works with FCP in a Mac.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 2, 2006 at 1:40:05 am

Dave -
Simply because you have posted this, AVID will now rewrite the software in their next release to make sure that it does NOTHING with the AJA Kona card. Are you trying to imply that AVID is secretly working with AJA to get the Kona card supported for the Media Composer application ? Since you must be on drugs, can you please send me some, becuase I would love to live in the fantasy world that you live in. I am sure that engineers in Tewksbury are currently being tortured in the AVID dungeon because management is forced to use the Xena for the Nitris product for 4:4:4 input. You know how they say "never say never" - well, in this case, I say NEVER. AVID would rather go out of business than go back to relying on a third party hardware card (like they did with the Truevision line). In fairytale land, the only possibility of this EVER happening would be for AVID to purchase AJA, and make sure that the AJA product line would never work with FCP ever again (and this is in fantasy land, as none of this will ever happen).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA Kona Card in Avid (and one more thing)
on Oct 2, 2006 at 1:45:08 am

This post has aggrivated me. The Truevision Targa 2000 was designed by Carl Calabria. This was the card used by AVID for years in the ABVB product. Carl went on to Pinnacle to design the wonderful Pinnacle Cinewave Card. Carl is (or was) employed by AVID Technologies as chief hardware engineer - this happened before AVID bought Pinnacle. So over a year ago, they had the ability to have a brilliant hardware engineer re-port the Pinnacle CineWave card to work with the Media Composer (instead of the silly AVID Mojo product) - so even with the know how, and the staff to do it,and owning the hardware rights, they did not do it. And you expect me to even think that AVID would SPEND MONEY to license the AJA Xena product for Media Composer (and the low end Xpress Pro HD at that). Are you in dreamland ?????

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

dan brockett
on Oct 2, 2006 at 4:26:50 pm

Hi Bob:

You bring up an interesting point, you are correct, AVID does use OEM Aja boards in the Nitris product. Would be interesting to see if AVID will try to buy Aja.

Best,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 2, 2006 at 5:07:59 pm

[dan brockett] "Would be interesting to see if AVID will try to buy Aja. "

Man, I hope not.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 2, 2006 at 6:26:11 pm

FWIW - AJA boards are also now on the new Autodesk versions of Inferno, Flint, Flame, Fire and Smoke. This means Kona, Xena or OEM variants support Apple (FCP, AE, Final Touch, Media 100), Autodesk, Avid DS and Windows (Adobe, Vegas) and are working in 3 OS types (Mac, Win, Linux).

Sincerely,
Oliver

Oliver Peters
Post-Production & Interactive Media
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 2, 2006 at 6:47:37 pm

I know, keep up the good work AJA and don't let Avid buy you out. :-)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Oct 2, 2006 at 8:56:33 pm

i think this is because the RS422 is a "serial port". If you had a serial port PCI card installed Avid might see that as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]