FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona vs Decklink Down Conversions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ric shellhammer
Kona vs Decklink Down Conversions
on Sep 29, 2006 at 9:06:05 pm

Need the straight scoop from those have experienced real-time HD to SD downconversions on the Decklink HD Extreme and the Kona LHe boards. Who wins and why?

thanks,

Ric Shellhammer

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
Re: Kona vs Decklink Down Conversions
on Sep 30, 2006 at 12:21:10 am

Ric,

This isn't as simple as an answer to give as you think.

If your running any length of SDI or going thru routing you may find the AJA hardware better but without all the information one can not give you a clear answer. Tell us what your looking to do............

Both boards support it.

I can say the AJA hardware is used by professional studios daily and they continue to request AJA.

Hope that helps a bit without starting a fire.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

uncompressed
on Sep 30, 2006 at 12:40:41 am

find a reseller who can set this up for you. i saw the multibridge extreme vs. the kona and it wasnt even close. one thing i like about the conversions on the AJA cards is they say they are identical quality or better than their rack mount or mini converters.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Sep 30, 2006 at 2:52:58 am

Hi,

While we cannot speak to the quality of the BM products, we can tell you that our downconverter on the LHe is:

- 10bit hardware-based (no load on CPU)
- codec agnostic...will work with uncompressed, DVCPRO-HD, HDV, Animation codec, etc.
- will work from both 720p and 1080i material
- can work as a stand-alone downconverter, from signals passing through the card (E-to-E)
- can be applied to any or all outputs (HD-to-SD output)
- can be applied to any or all inputs (HD-to-SD input)
- is excellent quality! (based on our rackframe converter and mini-converter broadcast products)

Uncompressed's advice is good, to find a local reseller who can show you both in action. Also, feel free to contact us to discuss any of our products.

Thank you,

--
AJA Video Systems
(530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 30, 2006 at 12:26:50 pm

As noted above, AJA products are used by broadcasters, including some small live events like the World Series and Super Bowl. This means AJA products work in mission critical environments and the quality is outstanding.

When I made the switch from CineWave a few years back to another HD board, I tested cards from both companies in our shop. I currently have 2 Kona 2's and 2 Kona 3 systems in our shop along with an Io LA and a HD10AVA converter. The products work, image quality is outstanding and tech support stands behind everything they make. Downconversion isn't even something I really pay attention to because it's just so clean, like it's supposed to be.

Hands down, AJA will deliver to you the better product. Will you pay a little more for AJA? You bet. But it's your decision as to what quality you want to deliver to your clients.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

ric shellhammer
on Sep 30, 2006 at 3:19:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback ... it's basically what I got out of other discussions posted here. The intent was to take a look at both cards ... just tough finding a dealer who has both setup to demonstrate.

ric shellhammer

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 30, 2006 at 9:07:49 pm

just tough finding a dealer who has both setup to demonstrate.

Yeah, that can be tough, that's why attending trade shows can be very beneficial when you're in the market because everyone is there. There is the NAB Post Production show coming up in New York where you can easily compare the products.

Locally here in Atlanta, we have WH Platts company that sells both products, though AJA outsells BMD by a long shot.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]