FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDCAM 1080/30P compatibility with Kona

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Shucher
HDCAM 1080/30P compatibility with Kona
on Sep 29, 2006 at 1:15:36 am

Has anyone had any success with HDCAM video shot with an F900 at 1080/30P, and working with it on a Kona 2?

I have a client that shot at this format (without consulting the editor), now they want to post it. I understand it's not a format that will downconvert cleanly to SD. I'm told by the client, that's OK because it's not for broadcast, and will always remain in the HD or non-interlaced realm. (Yea, right. How many times have we heard that).

G5 2.5ghz DP, 2.5Gbyte RAM, FCP 5.0.2, OSX.4.1
QT7.01, Kona2 w/Kbox, Atto UL3D, Medea RTRX640, Huge MV 1.8Tbyte, Radeon 9800XT

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: HDCAM 1080/30P compatibility with Kona
on Sep 29, 2006 at 1:17:38 am

[Scott Shucher] "I understand it's not a format that will downconvert cleanly to SD. I'm told by the client, that's OK because it's not for broadcast, and will always remain in the HD or non-interlaced realm."

Not sure who told you that. Good Eats is shot in 30p HD on the Varicam and downconverts to SD perfectly for the standard broadcast of the show. If you've watched any of the last two seasons of the show, you're watching 30p downconverted to SD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Scott Shucher
Re: HDCAM 1080/30P compatibility with Kona
on Sep 30, 2006 at 1:29:38 am

Hello Walter,

[Scott Shucher] "I understand it's not a format that will downconvert cleanly to SD. I'm told by the client, that's OK because it's not for broadcast, and will always remain in the HD or non-interlaced realm."

I got the above info from the Sony HDCAM FAQ website:

"29.97PsF/30 PsF: If a program is being created in Progressive scan mode, where better temporal resolution is desired, these modes should be used. The 29.97P mode will allow a 480i SD output. The 30P mode will not."

Anyway, are you able to run it through your Kona 2? I've been getting conflicting reports as to whether it works. Aja tech support says it's "not supported", which doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work.

Also, I would suspect that the Varicam's 30P, is a different bowl of soup from HDCAM at 1080/30P.

Scott

G5 2.5ghz DP, 2.5Gbyte RAM, FCP 5.0.2, OSX.4.3
QT7.01, Kona2 w/Kbox, Atto UL3D, Medea RTRX640, Huge MV 1.8Tbyte, Radeon 9800XT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]