FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 SCSI

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Hatfield
Kona 3 SCSI
on Sep 25, 2006 at 10:39:29 pm

What kind of performance should I be able to get out of a Mac Pro 3.0 with a Kona 3 or Kona LH card,an Atto UL5D and a Ciprico U320-RX/2500? A Medea RTR320x/2000?
In 8 bit uncompressed
In 10bit uncompressed
Any information would be appreciated.

Jerry Hatfield
Six Gill DV
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona 3 SCSI
on Sep 25, 2006 at 11:39:44 pm

super duper fast - faster than an XServe RAID - faster than 220mb/sec (close to 300mb/sec I believe). HUGE makes a great product. The Medea (now owned by AVID) is great too. Both units will allow you to do 10 bit uncompressed HD. But I doubt that you have a client demand for that. Not 10 bit uncomressed HD - not here in Orlando.

If you call me, I will show you.

Bob Zelin in Orlando
(407) 257 9157

Return to posts index

Jerry Hatfield
on Sep 26, 2006 at 10:19:56 pm

But I doubt that you have a client demand for that. Not 10 bit uncomressed HD - not here in Orlando.

I work with a lot of underwater footage and working in compressed formats usually adds 'banding' to
gradient scenes. I have decided to move to a system with compressed, uncompressed 8bit and uncompressed 10bit capapilities. I am looking at going the Mac Pro Kona 3 Route with the Huge drive. The medea is just a tad more expensive and less space. I just upgraded my compressed PC system and will be either purchasing the Mac or building another PC with the Woodcrests and a Xena 2k card or Axio LE. The Axio LE will do 2 streams of 8bit compressed with the Huge.
Your right about 10bit in Orlando. This system is being assembled more for my wants. I need to be happy with what is on the screen and the banding issue doesn't inhance my calm. Also, it doesn't hurt to have the
added capabilities.
Thanks for the replies.

Jerry Hatfield
Six Gill DV
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 26, 2006 at 10:51:05 pm

if you get the Axio, you will be the second "pro" in Orlando to get it - Ben Kupfer is the only pro Axio user in Orlando now. Everyone else has either AVID or FCP with AJA hardware.
You will be very happy with the HUGE and the ATTO FC or SCSI cards, but you should consider SATA if you want to save money. You know how to reach me if you need help.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jerry Hatfield
on Sep 26, 2006 at 11:00:48 pm

Bob,
Thanks alot for the info. I'll definitely get in touch with you as the time
draws closer to make a decision.
Thanks again!

Jerry Hatfield
Six Gill DV
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index

rarudio
on Sep 26, 2006 at 9:06:10 am

Hi Jerry,

You mentioned UL5d with MacPro... I have one but I had to take it out (this is pre-firmware update) because it won't work with my MacPro... have you isntalled yours? Is it working? Did Atto released a newer driver? Did the MacPro firmware update fixed the incompatibility? thanks!

Roland

Return to posts index

drollo
on Sep 26, 2006 at 9:48:20 am

You can use your UL5D with the older firmware but if you install more than 2GB RAM, you get freezed. We are waiting for a firmware update for the UL5D.

Return to posts index

MediaBox
on Sep 26, 2006 at 2:08:47 pm

My UL5D is working great in my Mac Pro 3.0. I did run the firmware update.

~John

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 26, 2006 at 11:03:55 am

You just need to run speed tests. In theory it should be faster than a Mac G5 Dual 2.0 and a little faster than the G5 Quad, but of course, everyone is still figuring out the correct drivers and compatibility so short term, things are kind of clunky.

My Mac Pro 3.0 will arrive today and we'll be installing the ATTO Fibre Channel card so we can finally connect our new Ciprico (formerly Huge) 5TB Array. By the end of the week I hope to have everything up and running.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
on Sep 28, 2006 at 1:09:57 pm

Jerry,

We are running a Huge U320RX (an older one, before they were bought by Ciprico) on a G5 quad with an Atto UL5D and the performance is fantastic. The AJA Kona systems test for a 1920x1080 10-bit RGB 4.0GB file gives write speed at 314.4 MB/s and Read speed at 308.0 MB/s. This is on a 4TB array set up in Raid 3 mode and the array is 97% full at the moment! So if you are running in unprotected Raid 0, you should expect faster speeds then this and when the drives are empty it should scream. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

jeremy

Return to posts index

Jerry Hatfield
on Sep 28, 2006 at 10:18:58 pm

Thanks for that info. That does help.
I guess this is probably going to be a stupid question, but here goes. In 10bit or 8bit uncompressed, are you able to get 2 streams to work with a dissolve on this drive? Possibly in raid 0?
Thanks!

Jerry Hatfield
Six Gill DV
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 28, 2006 at 10:24:33 pm

Hi Jerry -
it's not a stupid question at all, and YES you can.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jerry Hatfield
on Sep 28, 2006 at 10:55:29 pm

More food for thought!!
Thanks all!

Jerry Hatfield
Six Gill DV
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>