FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDCAM captured as HDV?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lundy
HDCAM captured as HDV?
on Sep 25, 2006 at 4:56:49 pm

For various reasons I am in the situation of needing to capture an HDCAM 1080i 59.94 tape to Quicktime as HDV 1080i/60. I have a Kona 3 and thought it may be possible to simply choose HDV as my compression in the capture preset dialogue. This would allow the realtime capture over HD-SDI directly to an HDV codec Quicktime. Is this even possible? Can the card and Final Cut write an HDV file correctly in realtime through the card? I tested it with a few changes here and there and was able to get a file that played back, but not in Final Cut directly out of the Kona card without dropping frames. Is my only option to simply capture Uncompressed and then recompress to the 1080/60 HDV codec?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: HDCAM captured as HDV?
on Sep 25, 2006 at 5:04:32 pm

You can't deliver DVCPro HD 1080i/60?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Chris Lundy
on Sep 25, 2006 at 5:13:06 pm

I need HDV because this QT will be delivered to a client who will line up an audio track and then output to an HDV deck (actually a camera) over firewire. They need to bring an HDV master to a festival. I know, it's odd and I would never recommend such a workflow, but in this case I'm basically an in-between step who needs to give them what they need. I know I can capture uncompressed and transcode to HDV, but I wasn't sure if I could go live to HDV through the Kona as I mentioned. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 26, 2006 at 11:06:08 am

As far as I know, the Kona cannot currently do a real-time conversion to HDV like it can to DVCPro HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

uncompressed
on Sep 26, 2006 at 9:36:21 pm

just as you cant roll a signal out of a Kona to a Deck for HDV transcoding on the fly, you cannot encode HDV on ingest to a Kona.

in this instance, you will want to do your capture and your work uncompressed from HDCAM, then use media mangler to convert that into HDV. it will take AWHILE. but for now, it is the best way and will leave you the best image possible at this point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]