FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe configuration and Hardware questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Gibbons
Kona LHe configuration and Hardware questions
on Sep 22, 2006 at 12:58:12 am

I want to purchase a new Mac Pro 3Ghz computer and a Kona LHe. I will be editing in SD and compressed HD. How much ram is optimal(not minimal)? I don't want to over do it if that's possible. A complete system recommendation would be nice.

I also need to know if it's possible to have both s-video and SD component output without switching cables and settings? Is there another piece of hardware I could buy to do this?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona LHe configuration and Hardware questions
on Sep 22, 2006 at 2:40:06 pm

I would talk to a VAR and see what they recommend and try to offer you and then you can make an informed decision.

An AJA io makes an awesome video router/converter.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 22, 2006 at 10:28:46 pm

Peter -
you need an AJA I/O, not a Kona LHe, if your requirements are S-Video and SD component. You obviously are not familiar with any of this equipment, and if you think that you can use these forums to save a couple of bucks, instead of contacting a professional VAR reseller like ProMax to help you, then you are fooling yourself. I don't know what city you are in, but there are plenty of companies out there that can help you put a complete system together that will work. If you had read any of the recent posts on this forum, you would have seen the detailed discussions about RAM limitations in the new MAC Pro computers- but I guess you did'nt read any of that, and are just asking your questions. So call a professional reseller - not a box house - and get a proper working system. Again, get the AJA I/O- it's what you need. Worry about HD later.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Gibbons
on Sep 23, 2006 at 1:31:44 am

Bob,
I already have an AJA I/O on my G5 and your absolutely correct. It does everything I need except for HD. I wanted the new Mac Pro system to work seemlessly with my current SD equipment including my G5, Beta decks, DVC pro, s-video matrix switcher, distribution amp and so on. Hence the need for the s-video. The SD component is strictly for going to the Beta decks for final output of broadcast projects and backup. I had a Velocity system which did this but it just died. So I was looking for a drop in replacement. I had called around but I felt like I wasn't getting a straight answer. That's why I posted my questions.

I did see some posts on the fact that the 2GB limitation issue was resolved with the Mac Pro but I didn't see anything on memory recommendations. I must of missed that. I did call ProMax like you suggested. They ended up recommending the LHe card after all. I will have to swap the cables and settings like I suspected but that's okay.

Thanks for the recommendation. Those guys at ProMax really know what there talking about.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]