FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 Workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
West Wing
Kona 3 Workflow
on Sep 21, 2006 at 11:16:56 am

I have just set up an online system for a project shot on Digibeta and HDV. I am in the process of doing an edit on my offline suite which involves 3 tracks shot on Digibeta and 1 track on HDV 1080i. I captured the digi's in DVPAL and downconverted the HDV straight out of the deck into DVPAL which has all worked perfectly.

My question is: when I come to online the final edit, I want to down convert the HDV into the same format as the Digibeta 10bit uncompressed. I have literally never used the Kona 3 card before, and I do not own a HDV or Digibeta Deck to experiment with.

Can I use the Kona 3 to down convert the HDV footage on capture, or do I have to send it thru the card to a digibeta deck via SDI output?

Can anybody suggest a workflow to me please? Especially before I hire the decks in.

I am also not sure with Kona settings to use when down converting the HDV to match the Digibeta.

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona 3 Workflow
on Sep 21, 2006 at 3:51:19 pm

What kind of HDV deck do you have? i would suggest getting an HD10AVA which will convert the analog HDV signals from the deck (audio and video) to HD-SDI. Then the Kona will down-convert that signal to 10 bit SD. When you select the PAl 10 bit uncompressed SD easy setup, the Kona will automatically down-convert the 1080i signal for you. Then for the Digibeta, bring that in SDi @ 10bit. Simple huh?

The only trick is you will have to figure out deck control for the HDV. You can get a lanc to rs-422 converter from somebody like addenda, or you can try and use firewire deck control as well, either way you have to setup FCP for each scenario.

i would plan on a little extra deck hire time to iron out the workflow (one extra day should do it).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

West Wing
on Sep 21, 2006 at 5:20:46 pm

Jeremy

Thank you very much for your response to my questions. I do not have a HDV deck, as I am waiting until Sony releases a deck later this year with HDSDI output. The AJA mini HDSDI converter looks ideal for the time being.

So basically if I have PAL 10 bit selected in the log and capture window of FCP, Kona 3 will automatically down convert the HDSDI 1080i HDV signal to that codec? Is it that simple?

The device control does look like an issue, but I think there will have to be a bit if trial and error, unless of course the deck has RS422 control.

Many thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 21, 2006 at 7:34:05 pm

[West Wing] "Is it that simple?"

Yep. You can also set it up through the control panel, but really there's no need. Open FCP, select 10 bit uncompressed PAL easy setup, open log and capture and away you go. You will have to tell the Kona if you want anamorphic, letterbox, and center cut (called 'crop') down-convert though. You do this through the 'format' tab of the control panel and all it takes is the click of a button.

Return to posts index

West Wing
on Sep 21, 2006 at 8:42:58 pm

Thanks Jeremy

Do you have any detailed advice on Deck control with HDV? Just so I am prepared for the inevitable problems!

Many thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 21, 2006 at 8:51:09 pm

I don't except you should test test test. Try firewire control (as you don't have to buy anything else), or look around for the addenda lanc to rs-422 converter. i used to use one a long time ago with Media100 and a dsr-11. It was slow but it worked. I don't know of an HDV deck that has rs-422, but I haven't looked recently either. if you find one, rent that one and you won't have to deal with the conversion.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 21, 2006 at 8:56:13 pm

Simon -
let me assure you of one thing. The day your equipment comes in, you will suffer. We ALL suffer. I have been doing this for 30 years, and today, I have to deal with the new Sony XDCam HD, and I am suffering. NOTHING just plugs in and works. You screw with it for a while, you read, you study, you sweat, and you getting working. Then, you are an expert.

You have been given great advice - the AJA HD10A or HD10AVA does a wonderful "plug and play" job of converting analog Y Pb Pr HD signals into HD-SDI for the Kona 2 or Kona 3. But guess what - there are LOTS of menus in all the HDV VTR's, and you HAVE TO GET USED TO USING THEM. This is yet another Sony VTR that takes time to get used to because of all the menus, and it's own ability to downconvert from HD to SD.

Suffering is part of being an editor - it always has, and as long as new technology keeps coming out (and it sure does) - we will all continue to suffer.

I have also heard of the HDV VTR with HD-SDI output and RS422 coming out (there are no press releases on this VTR as of 9/21/06) - but if it was my money, I would wait too.

You want some detailed device - download the HDV VTR manual, and read it, and get ready for things not to work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

West Wing
on Sep 22, 2006 at 10:33:08 am

Thanks Bob

I have definitely suffered over the past few years changing my life from being a musician/producer to owning a small production company in which I have had to learn every aspect of production, from script to screen. I too believe you should suffer for your art, and as the the old addage goes: 'Pain is 80% of Success'. I have indeed read the HDV VTR manuals and already overcome some issues, but all I was wanting to know is if anyone was doing a similar project to myself with the same equipment, and any workarounds that might the pain to success ratio slightly more bearable.

Jeremy has indeed given me some excellent advice that I have already acted upon.

If I get any info on the HDV Deck with RS422 and HDSDI output, I will let you know.

Many thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

West Wing
on Sep 22, 2006 at 11:04:53 am

Bob

Just done a quick search and found that there is indeed a Sony Deck due for release in 2007, the HVR-1500 studio VTR. It has everything on it, a great looking piece of kit, but unfortunately not available as yet.

Cheers

Simon

Return to posts index

ErnestoSanchez
Re: Kona 3 Workflow - Deck Control
on Sep 22, 2006 at 4:18:35 pm

You can use Firewire for Deck control if you are capturing the HDV decks component output (via the AJA HD-SDI converter.) Just have to set the firewire port to DV. In the FCP Log and Capture window, Capture Settings Tab, Device Control --> Firewire Basic.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona 3 Workflow - Genius
on Sep 22, 2006 at 10:32:27 pm

Hey Simon -
you are a sharp guy, and you are the FIRST PERSON I know of that was able to find detailed info on the model # of the new professional Sony HDV VTR. You will go far.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]