FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA KONA 3 and Mac Pro?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael pierre
AJA KONA 3 and Mac Pro?
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:32:23 pm

I just bought a brand new quad mac G5 and it's been working fine with my KONA 3. This morning none of my external drives were showing up on my desktop. I went through my normal battery of tests and couldn't figured it out... so I called Apple only to find out that my Logic board is fried. Fortunately, The DR. Group says I can swap out my quad with another quad today (which is great as I'm in the middle of an edit). HOWEVER- I've been thinking about the new Mac Pro. The Dr. Group and others are saying that the KONA 3 card and new Mac Pro don't work so well together.
Is this true? And if so, how long until the Mac Pro is fully supported?

Also, I've heard that other companies haven't gotten there software fully in line with the new Mac Pro's?

Should I wait on the Mac Pro and stick with the quad... or should I make the leap now and hope that support follows soon?

Thank you,

Michael

Return to posts index

Tim Langston
Re: AJA KONA 3 and Mac Pro?
on Sep 20, 2006 at 6:25:24 pm

I just received my Mac Pro, it's sitting on the floor waiting on Boris Red to become universal and also my Sonnet SATA E4P card needs new drivers. Guess it's a paper weight until I get these.

Not to discourage you or anything.

Tim

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.colproductions.com

Return to posts index

michael pierre
on Sep 20, 2006 at 6:44:37 pm

That doesn't sound like fun.
Do you use a Kona 3 by any chance?
Heard of any other problems?

Return to posts index

Tim Langston
on Sep 20, 2006 at 7:06:26 pm

Yes, I have a Kona 3 in my G5 Quad. But without those other two pieces of software I have to wait before swapping out the card to the Mac Pro.

The only other problem I've heard about is the ram problem, I'm sure you've read about that down below.

Tim

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.colproductions.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 21, 2006 at 12:20:05 am

[michael pierre] "The Dr. Group and others are saying that the KONA 3 card and new Mac Pro don't work so well together. Is this true? And if so, how long until the Mac Pro is fully supported?"

NO it is not true.

Yes there are issues with some 3rd party cards like the ATTO fibre and SCSI HBA cards, and they run fine with Apple's fibre cards. but as far as I know there are no issues with the Kona 3 cards themselves and I have been running one for about 3 weeks now with out issue.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Gregory Smith
on Sep 21, 2006 at 12:52:15 am

Well there is the crahsing issue with > 2gig of system RAM.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Sep 21, 2006 at 8:51:33 pm

FIXED! Check AJA's website for the updated drivers and the Apple update in a message from AJA Sales Department up in this community thread.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Sep 21, 2006 at 10:21:08 pm

To late for me. I got the quad again. Oh well, I'll just wait six months and upgrade. I don't know if the speed increase is so huge that it would make all that much difference in a practical way anyways.

thanks for all the info.
michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]