and Apple RT Extreme hardware acceleration,
developed in close cooperation with Apple
and available exclusively on KONA LHe.KONA
LHe hardware takes a portion of the codec
processing load off the CPU,allowing more
RealTime (RT)effects in Final Cut Pro 5 when
outputting.KONA LHe also has hardware
support when capturing.This brings amazing
RealTime HD production power to the desktop.
With KONA LHe,any source can be captured
using the DVCPROHD codec

Return to posts index

jpicune
Re: Kona LHe - Is this claim true?
on Sep 19, 2006 at 10:37:36 pm

You can work with DVCPRO HD on a firewire 400 drive with or without the Kona. The stuff isn't even 15MB/s. I am getting 100MB/s sustained on my MacBook Pro with 2 SATA drives striped. So you can actually do a whole lot with internal SATA.

Jared Picune
Idea Spring Editing, Inc.
Denver Final Cut Pro UG
The Picune Blog | FCP Tips & Tricks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 19, 2006 at 11:32:54 pm

DVCPro50 is an excellent SD codec. DVCProHD is not a SD codec - it is for HD. It will work with one SATA drive, but you will not get reliable playback for a long show with effects, titles, etc. You need TWO SATA drives stripped RAID 0 for long term reliable playback. Lots of stuff works - but there is a big difference between working, and working reliably.

Hey, you don't even need a second internal drive- you could use your boot drive - but who in their right minds would do this ? Internal drives are teriffic for keeping graphics files, audio, but real video projects need at least 2 SATA drives RAID 0 to work well.

I think that Blackmagic once had a press release that they had DVCPro HD playing back on an iPod (I seem to recall, I could be wrong here)- just becuase it marginally works does not mean that you should run your business this way.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 20, 2006 at 3:15:26 am

I am very happy with our LHe card but I haven't noticed much of a difference before and after.

Return to posts index

Enzo Tedeschi
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:40:05 am

Thanks, guys. I figured that was the case - it sounded like an outlandish claim. If true, might have made for a good "B" suite :o)

Enzo Tedeschi

Editor

http://www.outpostpps.com

Sydney, Australia

Check out our latest music video - http://www.outpostpps.com/thebleed/

Look out for the Outpost Video Podcast coming soon

Return to posts index

uncompressed
Re: Kona LHe -true
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:55:08 am

of course it is true. dvcproHD is 12.5 mb/sec. sata drives can do 40mb/sec.

that said, it is NEVER a good idea to work from your application drive, but i use this all the time with a second internal drive for media. keep it defragged and work with one layer--no problems.

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Sep 20, 2006 at 9:27:23 am

I just added 2 SATA II drives into the extra bays in my new Mac Pro, giving me a total of 3 disks.

I run system / application etc. on disk 1
Made a striped RAID of disk 2 and 3.
They push over 150 MB/sec using KONAs test app.

One SATA II drive push around 70 MB/sec

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:45:08 pm

Mike Johnson's system is the typical example of an excellent second system, and it is wonderful that you can put the additional dual internal SATA drives in the Mac Pro, without the need for an additional controller card. I am sure he will make a lot of money with this new system.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Olivier Jean
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:10:14 pm

hi,

as mentionned here, a couple of internal or extrenal SATA II drives will give you
around 120MB to 150MB throughput more than enough for DVC Pro HD which requires
around 15/16 MB per second.
Very economical solution indeed.

Regards
Olivier Jean
Video Sales Consultant
Apple Certified Trainer Final Cut Pro 5
Powermedia Systems
Sydney Australia

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:44:03 pm

[Enzo Tedeschi] "DVCPROHD on internal SATA? Does the LHe really do that much acceleration to make this a workable option?"

DVCPROHD in 720 and 1080 are compressed enough to allow for playback on internal SATA drives, As was said you need more than a single drive to make this viable. what the Kona crad does for me is just what was quoted. "KONA LHe hardware takes a portion of the codec processing load off the CPU,allowing more RealTime (RT)effects in Final Cut Pro 5 when outputting."

The card handles the scaling that is required for realtime playback of the material - ALL camera native HD codecs are horizontally squeezed and the Kona card frees up that scaling function from the CPU and handles the aspect correction in real time, because the scaling engine is handling the aspect correction it in hardware- not software, thereby giving more realtime (RT) functions in FCP.

The hardware based scaling functions on the Kona cards all work without delay or rendering on all scaling functions- whether that be playback of DVCPROHD or HDV codecs or when you are up or down converting your content- All are handled the same.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]