FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio out thru KONA is insanely loud! System sound setting don't work.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Johnson
Audio out thru KONA is insanely loud! System sound setting don't work.
on Sep 19, 2006 at 5:04:48 pm

I connected two studio ref monitors thru XLR cable to the XLR outputs on my KONA breakoutbox.
The ref monitors are at gain level 1 out of 10.

But the sound out is super loud, and the sound control setting in OSX doesn't work. (the one in menu bar next to date/time in top right corner) It don't affect the sound. Like the setting been by-passed.

I have set all sound settings to use KONA LHe as in and out audio.

If I play music in itunes I can control the level of the sound, if I set to to mute no sound comes out. The itunes volume control has about 20 steps.
Step 0 is silent/mute, step 1 is really loud, the difference frpm 0 to 1 is huge! Maxing the setting would probably break the speakers.

My system is a 2.66 Mac Pro, v.3 of KONA soft, 10.4.7 with all the latest updates.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
Re: Audio out thru KONA is insanely loud! System sound setting don't work.
on Sep 19, 2006 at 6:23:58 pm

This seems to be happening a lot lately to people....

The ouput on the Kona, or any other digital video board for that matter, is inteded to feed into a mixer, deck, or audio workstation *NEVER* directly into your speakers (you risk overloading the amp and ruining the speakers) It's a strong signal that's output to overcome transmission and noise floor problems in a professional audio setup. A mixer let's you split that signal specifically to your speakers so that 1) it's at a comforatable listeneing level and 2) you have a convienant volume control right at your fingertips.

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Sep 19, 2006 at 7:06:58 pm

So I take that there is no way to control it before output?

That sort of sucks, I have some mixers, but I don't want any for this set up.

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Sep 19, 2006 at 7:14:24 pm

well, you could go into Final Cut and use the mixer tool... use the master mix to control it...

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Sep 19, 2006 at 8:22:25 pm

well that doesn't help much, final cut is not the only app that makes noise.

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Sep 19, 2006 at 9:33:42 pm

well i think you're looking for a solution that does exist.

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Sep 19, 2006 at 9:33:56 pm

er, doesn't exist

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Sep 19, 2006 at 10:26:29 pm

Looks like it, but in all fairness, why shouldn't you be able to control the level of outgoing audio from your system?!?
That's can't be tricky at all to fix.

Guess I have to add a mixer for now.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 19, 2006 at 10:57:50 pm

This setup is not really recommended because if you change the audio levels in your mac, it'll change the output levels in FCP, among other reasons. everyone that does this has problems, you can search the forum to see. Get yourself a mixer to use as a volume control/audio router, I have one and I route all my stuff through it. Couldn't really do it without. You can then take the output of your mac (headphone out) and put that into your mixer to monitor system sounds. If this is some sort of 'b' system, even a cheap Yamaha $99 dollar mixer will do. If you are going to be outputting I'd recommend something with a little bit more quality such as the Mackie 1402 or higher. Once the mixer is in and setup., it will stop all of your headaches.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 19, 2006 at 11:39:27 pm

Mr. Johnson,
Every edit system in the world, from back in the old linear days, thru AVID, and now into FCP and Premier, has an audio mixer on it. This is the way it is done, and this is the way that you will do it. You own a mixer, you will use it. If you dont' want to use a mixer, get an audio attenuator, like the Mackie BIG KNOB, which can act like a little volume control for you, and no mixer. And if you want to spend no money, you can look for the ROLLS audio attenuator, which has two little knobs on it, and will kind of work - I believe it's about 40 bucks, but you can get a small Behringer mixer for a few bucks more than this.

However, if you insist on being a baby, and just want what you want (even though you own a mixer), and just can't understand why it takes EQUIPMENT to make a living in the editing business, please post your address, and I will be happy to fly to your location and strangle you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:44:05 am

Bob:

You crack me up!

Keep up the entertainment.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Sep 20, 2006 at 9:23:17 am

A mixer is great if you need its features.
We don't. We just want to control the level of audio out.

The end result is the same by controling system out bus or sending it to a mixer and controlling it there.

I have both spare mackie and behringer mixers, but I want to keep the clutter on the desk down.
Aswell as don't confuse the users, alot of them are new to editing. One of those desk volume knobs would do I guess.

Strangle me? You could try fatboy.

Return to posts index

mactrix
on Sep 20, 2006 at 1:46:32 pm

> We don't. We just want to control the level of audio out.

You can ... inside your applications.

> The end result is the same by controling system out bus or sending it to a mixer and controlling it there.

No, learn about leveling.

> One of those desk volume knobs would do I guess.

But you would never control the output volume of a professional audio device with your system settings.
This consumer feature would generate serious leveling problems to all pro users ...

Return to posts index

rarudio
on Sep 20, 2006 at 9:24:03 am

Way to go Bob:)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:47:31 pm

Mike Johnson is obviously a cool guy - it amazes me how so many people take my stupid comments so seriously, when they are just for fun.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:17:29 pm

Speaking of desk clutter... I've got to get rid of this *enormous* 16 channel Mackie sitting on this otherwise minor desk. 16 channels and I use 2?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:36:27 pm

Then perhaps this is for you:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB502

:-)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 20, 2006 at 7:35:07 pm

don't you want to monitor your VTR's, in addition to your Kona ? I am always amazed how people say "oh, yea, I am doing an edit to tape right now" - and then an hour later, they realize that they never recorded any audio on the tape. The 16 channel board is so you can not only monitor your Kona, but your Digi Beta, Beta, VHS, DVD-R, and every other damn thing in your room, including your MAC G5 audio out.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Sep 21, 2006 at 9:27:03 pm

The thing is we only work with formats that you can send over firewire;
DVCAM, DVCPro 50 and DVCPro HD.
We work tapeless so we don't even have VTRs.

You don't manually have to set any audio input or outputs levels.

I've added a 8 channel Mackie mixer but the only use it serve is a volume knob.
So the best solution for us would still be if you could controll the volume of your system-wide out.
Not messing around with fcp audio or such.

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Sep 25, 2006 at 7:33:07 pm

Bob you're just getting crazy.... If all my decks were in the room with me I'd patch them in, but we have a machine room, and it's just silly running 16 audio patches to the rooms for VHS :)

But you're right...I patch in my confidence heads to the room for layoffs... I have laid off an hour long show withouth audio going down... we all learn lessons the hard way.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Sep 21, 2006 at 9:21:17 pm

For about $50, Behringer makes a Eurorack UB1002, which you can purchase from B&H Photo & Video. That will solve all of your problems.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

jnorman16
on Oct 15, 2006 at 4:38:19 am

I agree with everybody that having a mixer off to the side is great. But even with a mixer in my setup, I was finding the sound levels coming out of my KONA LH into my DIGI-002 (acting as a standalone mixer) were way too hot.

But I discovered something in OSX I hadn't seen before. Either it appeared in a recent update, or I just never noticed it. But the 'Audio MIDI Setup' program now has an 'Audio Devices' tab where you can adjust the properties on the internal audio devices. 'Built-in Audio' was one device, but my Kona card was also also there. So I could reduce the output levels for audio from the card here, and now the levels are matched with the levels I get into the mixer from 'Builit-in Audio'. Much nice and less likely to scare the crap out of me with very loud output.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]