FORUMS: list search recent posts

KiPro Ultra Plus issues with loss of video signal

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Achilles
KiPro Ultra Plus issues with loss of video signal
on Oct 26, 2018 at 2:51:29 am

Hello,
Looking to get some clarity on an issue with a newly purchased KiPro Ultra Plus. I need help discerning if this is a defective device or if my equipment or signal path was defective. I've used the same device twice, both times for ISO recording 4 simultaneous video sources. The first production, had no issues. The second production had two instances of the "loss of video" warning, on two different channels, however it became apparent only when reviewing the footage after the live event. During the event, the "loss of video" warning with color bars never appeared on our confidence monitors indicating that there was an issue with the recording. I've also had inconsistent success in using the loop through of the SDI inputs. At times, the loop through signal is clean, other times it looks like a loss of sync on the signal down stream of the device. I have not been able to consistently replicate the problem. The device was purchased last month and at the time of delivery, was loaded with the latest firmware. Recordings were ProRes. Here is a link to a video that shows both instances of the "loss of video" warnings that were discovered after the recording:

My questions:
1. Anyone else having issues with simultaneously recording multiple sources on this device?
2. Any thoughts on why the confidence monitor did not reflect what was actually recording, and why did it not show us the "loss of video" warning?
3. Does the KiPro Ultra Plus require a gen lock source to insure stable multi-channel records?
4. If so, what is a recommended configuration for generating sync?
5. Are there any "best practices" for multi-channel recording on this device? I've tried to just record on the third SDI input only, and it fails. Or just loop through on the 2nd SDI in/out, and it fails. Does this device like to see input 1 if there is only one source, etc? Inputs 1 and 2 for two sources, etc....

Thanks for any feedback. -David

Return to posts index

Andy Bellamy
Re: KiPro Ultra Plus issues with loss of video signal
on Oct 29, 2018 at 8:57:27 pm

1. Anyone else having issues with simultaneously recording multiple sources on this device?

AJA offer fantastic customer support by telephone on +1-530-271-3190 and via email at support@aja.com, if you are having any issues with any feature please call or email and we can assist you with ensuring you are correctly set up.

2. Any thoughts on why the confidence monitor did not reflect what was actually recording, and why did it not show us the "loss of video" warning?

When an input is lost to the Ki Pro Ultra Plus, the corresponding outputs will go black. Both the front panel and the WebUI will display will display a ‘Loss of Video’ or ‘Input Format Changed’ warning in the event you are recording and you lose video. The recording contains the 'loss of video' frame and will be the same length as all other recorded channels, with the missing video input being replaced. If the lost input is successfully restored to the Ki Pro Ultra Plus, it will carry on recording video as soon as it is able to do so. The 'loss of video' frame will stop being recorded and the video output will be restored.

3. Does the KiPro Ultra Plus require a gen lock source to insure stable multi-channel records?

Yes and this is most likely the cause of the issues you have had. In order to provide the synchronization necessary to record up to four channels at once, we require that each source device connected to the Ki Pro Ultra Plus be genlocked appropriately for the format you are wishing to record. If your source device does not have a reference input or you are unable to supply one, you can always frame sync the signals through an AJA frame sync, like the FS-4. https://www.aja.com/products/fs4

4. If so, what is a recommended configuration for generating sync?

AJA produce a mini-converter device called a GEN10 which will provide a suitable sync generator for you. You can connect all the source devices to the sync outputs of the GEN10 device, ensuring your video inputs stay synched throughout your shoot. https://www.aja.com/products/mini-converters/gen10

5. Are there any "best practices" for multi-channel recording on this device? I've tried to just record on the third SDI input only, and it fails. Or just loop through on the 2nd SDI in/out, and it fails. Does this device like to see input 1 if there is only one source, etc? Inputs 1 and 2 for two sources, etc....

Use freshly formatted AJA Pak1000 or Pak2000 media for multi-channel recording. Ensure your genlock is set to the correct format and that each source device has been set to utilize the genlock for sync. Ki Pro Ultra Plus requires that you connect video sources in order from input SDI 1 through to input SDI 4. For single channel recording, you must use input SDI 1. For dual channel recording you must use inputs SDI 1 and 2. For three channel recording you must use inputs SDI 1,2 and 3. We lock the video inputs that are used to input SDI 1, so if sync is lost we can then move to use input SDI 2 and so on. If the inputs are not connected consecutively, KI Pro Ultra Plus cannot function correctly in multi-channel operation. Make sure to check the audio input for each channel as well. We offer tools to map audio for AES and analog inputs as well options to decide how many channels you wish to record for each SDI input. There are more examples and detailed assistance in the manual for Ki Pro Ultra Plus, which is available to download at the AJA website, https://www.aja.com/assets/support/files/4847/en/AJA_Ki_Pro_Ultra_Plus_Manu... . Thanks for choosing AJA and I hope that if this isn't enough to get you going, you’ll reach out to our support department who are waiting to help.

Product Manager - Ki Pro and HELO
AJA Video Systems
http://www.aja.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]