FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kistor dock

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Cinetto
AJA Kistor dock
on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:37:56 am

I am going soon into a big live event with very fast delivery issues.
We need to have 6 Prores flows ready to edit immediatley after the end of the event. We will have a 6x250GB SSD.
We decided to work with AJA Kipro to have 6 Prores cameras stream recorded + the program stream recorded.
What could it be the fastest way to work on a macbookpro on the field?
I thought that Kistor dock with thunderbolt could let us transfer the footage to a 2TB raid storage and from there we would edit it.
Are there best and/or fastest ways to do it properly?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: AJA Kistor dock
on Aug 12, 2013 at 12:51:33 pm

Sounds to me like you have it pretty well figured out. The only thing I thought was out of place was that tiny 2TB RAID. What is it, a two 2TB HDD RAID-0? Are you doing a 6-stream multicam edit on the field right after the event? It might be a good idea to use a RAID with more total disks for that. What version Prores are you recording? How long is the event? 2 hours of 1080i30 Prores HQ will be about 1.3TB according to the AJA Data Calc App. Of course LTs small size would provide faster file transfers. Does the MacBook have two thunderbolt ports? If not, maybe lugging out an iMac would be worth the time savings from doing two transfers at a time. My other thought is what NLE you will be using, I'm fully on board with FCPX and dread anything that makes me open tired old 7. I think it would be an excellent choice for this job, provided the user knows it well of course.

If the new Mac Pro "Tube" is out before the event, you could thunderbolt dock all 6 KiStor drives and just edit from them and output the finished edit to internal Pci flash storage in a snap. :)

Just a couple hours ago I finished a three day multicam shoot, a cultural event with live music, dancing, performances, awards etc. It was in a medium sized hall, with way to many, too large, turned up too loud, speakers. My ears are currently ringing fiercely, as I sit in dead silence. On the second day, the constant pounding bass in the loudest songs caused my KiPro with 250GB HDD to drop frames (even when propped up on a piece of egg crate foam), thus stopping the recording. Repeatedly. The worst thing was that I didn't bring my only SSD that day! I won't make that mistake again. Luckily I have in-camera recordings with a backup feed from my audio mixer to fill in the gaps as if nothing happened. Anyway, long story long... Good call using SSDs for a large live event.

Return to posts index

Gunter Hemeleers
on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:46:46 pm

you have it figured out. kistor SSD's and kistor dock will alow you the fasted transfer speeds. I suggest you want to use a save raid 5 or raid 6 storage like a promise pegasus R4/R6 or the more compact J4.

The pegasus units have dual thunderbolt sockets so they will alow you to daisy chain.

Return to posts index

Christian Cinetto
on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:31:59 pm

Thanks guys!
I think that I will go with a J4 solution in raid 5 or two j4 in raid 10.
The real question now is to see if it makes more sense a SSD array (4x1TB) instead of a 4x 7200 rpm hdd.

Return to posts index

Gunter Hemeleers
on Aug 14, 2013 at 7:16:47 am

You might want to consider the R4 or R6 instead.
I know they are a little bit bigger, actually a lot bigger but they also have the onboard raid controller so no need to install drivers on the computer when you want to use the storage.
also an R6 filled with 1TB drives will be fast enough for you and will have 4.7TB of raid 5 storage space on it.

Return to posts index

Roger Schroeder
on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:56:15 am

Did you have the "keep recording with loss of video" turned on in the menu?

Since AJA came out with that option I have never had a KiPro kick out, ever. My thought is that you were dropping frames from something else on the input. You can fix this too by sending sync to the unit. Now that I have enabled continuous record despite nuclear bomb blasts I have never experienced a kickout.

If you are doing concerts always bring earplugs even if you sit in a truck! Paper napkins when weted down and rubbed into a small ball also make an excellent substitute.

If you ever loose data on a KiPro all you have to do is hook it up by firewire to a mac and the files will rebuild and no loss of data. The only time I have ever lost data is on a power outage and the file did not close. But that is why you always use battery power supplies (UPS) to keep them alive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]