FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will a KiPro embed time code

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Schroeder
Will a KiPro embed time code
on Feb 19, 2013 at 3:51:19 pm

Does anyone know if I plumb an analog time code from a generator into the TC in on a KiPro will it embed the time code into the SDI out signal?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Will a KiPro embed time code
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:57:02 pm

[Roger Schroeder] "Does anyone know if I plumb an analog time code from a generator into the TC in on a KiPro will it embed the time code into the SDI out signal?"

Yes it will. you need to set the proper parameter in the CONFIG menu for TC input.

From the Manual

8.0 TC IN TC VALUE (default)

allows TC Input values from
SDI RP188
LTC
FW400
TIME OF DAY
RS422

Use the value specified in parameter 8.1 TC VALUE

Use the timecode read from the embedded RP188
metadata in the SDI input

Use timecode from the LTC input connector

RS422 in-point TC value is used for the start value of a
recording (presented only if 35.2 is set to RS422 Only)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Roger Schroeder
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:23:52 pm

I found out the answer from an old fried who posts here "Tom Mathies" and the KiPro folks.

The TC out is for playback only, it is a dead port during recording.

I wish that they would loop through the TC port like they do everything else.

Thanks for the other info Gary.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:39:38 pm

You are correct in that the TC out connection is non-functional during recording.

But your question earlier was

Does anyone know if I plumb an analog time code from a generator into the TC in on a KiPro will it embed the time code into the SDI out signal?

and that answer is YES you can embed external TC into the video stream over SDI.

Tom is also correct that the TC Out on the KiPro is non-functional during recording - the unit does not offer passthru of TC

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
on Dec 7, 2014 at 6:00:26 pm

It am a bit confused. We have 8 ki pros, and the LTC inputs do seem functional, at least as loop throughs, while recording. We use an external TCG and daisy chain with no problems. I have considered a DA, but this works so why bother.

However, I cannot get that time code out embedded into the SDI. Exactly what menu setting # is that? I have looked in the manual, and it does not seem to have a separate menu setting for what is embedded on the SDI output, but above it seems like you can select what is embedded into the SDI, or am I misreading Gary's response? Our monitors will display audio levels and time code from the SDI input, and I see both from cameras or nanoFlash devices. I see only the audio from the ki pros, which is from XLR, not embedded on input. The time code does not display, although it is on the Aja display and in the recorded file, it does not seem to embed into the SDI output on either recording or playback. Is there another menu setting for this that I am missing?

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
http://kaelinmotion.com
New York

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 9, 2014 at 12:57:36 pm

[Rich Kaelin] ", I cannot get that time code out embedded into the SDI."

YES you can embed external TC into the video stream over SDI note that the TC Out on the KiPro is non-functional during recording - the unit does not offer passthru of TC

SO the embedded TC only happens on Playback of a pre-recorded file. There is no TC output during a live recording.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
on Dec 9, 2014 at 4:40:40 pm

But I don't see the timecode on playback either. I see embedded audio, but not timecode. It is on the files when I bring into NLE, and it all matches. I just recorded a 5 cam shoot with iso's and a live switch. Needed to clean up a bit, all TC matched perfectly. and the LTC output does output TC while recording...but this may be an E-E loop. Do you need to set something in a menu to get TC embedded into SDI? I think this is why Ki Pros have their own built in character disply that shows TC and record status.

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
http://kaelinmotion.com
New York

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]