FORUMS: list search recent posts

KiPro Mini: unable to arm recording from Sony PMW-F3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philipp Meier
KiPro Mini: unable to arm recording from Sony PMW-F3
on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:11:16 am

Hey,

I just upgraded my Ki Pro Mini from Version 2.6 to Version 4.1. I also upgraded my Sony PMW-F3 to version 1.4.

I was previously able to arm recording on the Ki Pro Mini by simply pressing record on the PMW-F3. This no longer works.

I tried "arm by TC", setting the camera data to "f3" and playing with various other options. I simply can not get it to work anymore.

There are a couple of timecode choices I can select on the PMW-F3 (Preset, Regen, Clock). In the preset settings I can further choose from "Rec Run" or "Free Run".

The Ki Pro Mini is connect to the SDI Out port of the PMW-F3.

I have a shoot on friday morning. Is there any way you guys can tell me which settings I have to set on the Ki Mini as well as the Sony PMW-F3 to make this work again?

Thank you!!!!

PS: when the camera data is set to "Sony F3" I can't even start recording on the KI by pressing the record button.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: KiPro Mini: unable to arm recording from Sony PMW-F3
on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:55:13 am

The Ki Pro Mini can be triggered via several methods when used in combination with the Sony PMW-F3. First, you can elect to use the Camera Data menu parameter and select "Sony F3." (Keep in mind that the camera will also need to be correctly configured for this to work as expected.) When the Camera Data feature is used, the camera start/stop triggers transmitted as SDI ancillary data trigger the recording of the Ki Pro Mini; press record on the camera and the Ki Pro Mini should go into record. This setting essentially has the camera "drive" the Ki Pro Mini replacing the need for you to manually press the record button; in fact, the Ki Pro Mini will not respond to the record button being depressed if valid start/stop data is coming from the camera. With Camera Data enabled, the camera is essentially "in charge."

Alternately, you could elect to use record run timecode on the camera and use the Arm Recording parameter set to "TC/REC KEY." When you use this method, the Ki Pro Mini responds to the incrementing timecode value of the camera's record run timecode. Note that this method is not viable if you are using freerun timecode as the value does not increment in starts and stops, but rather increments continuously.

If neither of the menu parameters noted were enabled, you could depress the record button manually on the Ki Pro Mini to produce recordings. Additionally, you could elect to use the web UI via the LAN connection to arm recordings.

If you have questions about configuring the Ki Pro Mini, please don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email between 9am and 5pm PST Monday through Friday.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Philipp Meier
on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:21:01 pm

" (Keep in mind that the camera will also need to be correctly configured for this to work as expected.)"

Could you please share what this configuration is? I have tried both methods and can no longer get it to work!

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:15:41 pm

The Sony PMW-F3 manual provides information that may be helpful to you. On pg. 118 of the manual, you may wish to refer to: Video Set>SDI Rec Control>HD SDI Remote I/F. Additional information is provided on pg. 135 and pg. 136 with respect to the SDI Rec Control setting and the SDI output spigots.

The Sony PMW-F3 manual can be found at:
http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebServices/RetrievePublicAsset/StepID/SEL-asset-...

Again, if you have additional questions about the Ki Pro Mini, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email between 9am and 5pm PST Monday through Friday.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]