FORUMS: list search recent posts

Improving imported file compatibility

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Improving imported file compatibility
on May 16, 2012 at 3:17:44 pm

It's clear the KiPro line is specifically designed to play back it's own recordings. However, we mainly use the KiPro to play files not created by a KiPro. The narrow specifics required for a compatible QT file are a pain to deal with. Now that ethernet transfer is enabled, and there's a rack mount version, having the KiPro be a more general ProRes player would be very useful.

We would like to use KiPros as a bridge between file and tape workflows until we're 100% file. Take P2 for example: We transcode all the AVC-I clips to ProRes and use a KiPro to play these out to tape with matching TC.

There are two issues: First, all P2 media has 4 tracks of audio and the KiPro will only play files with 2 or 8. The second is the order in which they are played. One would think this is done by file name but it's by date. Camera files need to be output in proper order to avoid non-incremental TC. Since these files are encoded by an encode cluster, it's very possible that a earlier long file might get encoded after a later short file. We are forced to create playlists in order to play them by file name which must be done via the web GUI.

Another gotcha I noticed is with the QT TC track. If I need to modify the start TC via FCP or QT Change the KiPro ignores the change and displays 0hr TC. One has to create a new movie out of FCP or CatDV in order for the KiPro to see the change.

The last thing is the 2 trk mono requirement. So to sum it all up I'd like to see 4 track playback, sort by filename, two track stereo, and modified TC all supported for imported ProRes files in that order of importance.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]