FORUMS: list search recent posts

pros and cons rack vs. original KiPro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
pros and cons rack vs. original KiPro
on May 6, 2012 at 3:42:16 pm

We have on order the original KiPro but we can change our minds. It is going in a flypack with a panasonic mixer. We will be editing in Avid MC 6, FCP X, and legacy FCP 7. Is it worth changing the order and the extra $265 for an extra 250 drive which comes with the KiPro for the rack version? Is recording in AVID DNxHD codec a big improvement over Apple pro res when working in MC. I'm just learning AVID (an ex-FCP 7 user). (the codec question I did also ask on the AVID forum). I need to let the vendor know very soon.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

James Parker
Re: pros and cons rack vs. original KiPro
on May 6, 2012 at 3:50:07 pm

Too me, paying the 265 is worth the drive alone. I can't comment on the new codec but the drive is worth it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 7, 2012 at 1:25:39 pm

I guess I didn't explain it well. The original KiPro comes with a drive listed as $265 at BHphoto. The rack version comes empty.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 6, 2012 at 3:55:27 pm

[Craig Alan] ". Is it worth changing the order and the extra $265 for an extra 250 drive which comes with the KiPro for the rack version?"

There is nothing that says you need to have 2 Drives in the unit at the same time to make it work, the Rack unit works fine with a single module installed. Normally it would take about 30 few seconds to unmount the drive, remove it then replace with a new drive in the Original Unit, whereas the Rack mount would be able to switch drives in about 3 seconds by pushing the Slot button twice ( one to unmount drive A, the second to mount drive B)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Patrick Sproule
on May 7, 2012 at 2:12:07 am

If you are going to be editing in MC then you WANT the DNxHD version. All you need to do is drop the mxf media files into Avid's media directory, open avid, open the media tool and there they are. No AMA or transcoding. We have been doing this with the competitors device and it works a treat.

Pat

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 7, 2012 at 1:39:01 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 7, 2012 at 1:38:45 pm

In a long even that could come in handy. If we had a computer set up next to it the ethernet transfer could do the trick as well. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]