FORUMS: list search recent posts

interchanging drives between KiPros

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Caicedo
interchanging drives between KiPros
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:53:13 pm

I currently oversee the setup/operation/ maintenance of 13 KiPros and my issue is interchanging drives amongst the 13 machines. The workflow here requires the drives to be brought down to our edit room after productions, there they'll be dumped, wiped and placed in a shelf for re-use. I quickly noticed that interchanging drives amongst machines didn't reliably work unless you formatted the drive in that particular machine that you are going to record on. This can be a big hassle specially when you are trying to use a KiPro as a playback device using a drive recorded elsewhere. Has any one else experienced this? Is there a solution?

Return to posts index

jeff cronenberg
Re: interchanging drives between KiPros
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:55:58 am

I use 10 KiPros on the road, bring the drives back to offload the media, format them all on an 11th machine here at home and take them back out and haven't ever had a problem with that... I haven't switched to vers 3 software yet, but I can't imagine that would introduce an interchange problem. When you say "Wiped" how is that happening?

Return to posts index

Gabriel Caicedo
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:44:36 pm

Thanks for the response Jeff, by "wiped" I mean, they transfer the media over to the edit system and erase the media files from the drive, no reformatting.
I'm still not getting 100% solid results, but I'm now leaning towards heat as being the cause, see at the place I work at they shut the climate management at around 6 pm every night, and a lot of operators are leaving the machines ON.
Some rooms definitely get much hotter than others. And I do know one thing about KiPros they hate heat and they generate a lot of it!
I'll keep posting as I find out more.

Return to posts index

jeff cronenberg
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:56:20 am

Is there any reason you aren't reformatting? It is a quick process. The only reason I ask is that over three years of using the KiPros I have never had a problem with interchange, but then again, I do reformat rather than just erase or remove files.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:00:40 pm

[Gabriel Caicedo] "Thanks for the response Jeff, by "wiped" I mean, they transfer the media over to the edit system and erase the media files from the drive, no reformatting."

Not reformatting the drives can leave proceedural files, invisible to the user, that are used by the units OS that help determine blocks, sectors and system files that are unique, by not clearing those files the units often hang on the conflicting information to the OS.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Gabriel Caicedo
on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:23:15 pm

Guys, the drives "are" reformatted, we do so at the KiPro where it will be used next, usually right before "show" time. I originally started out with the idea to format drives at a central location and then deploying them, that failed miserably. That's when we went to the local formatting workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]