FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trasnfer via Ethernet

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roche
Trasnfer via Ethernet
on Apr 5, 2012 at 2:51:52 pm

I see that AJA has enabled file transfer over ethernet in the v3 firmware. Have any of you tried it yet? If so, how are the transfer times?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Trasnfer via Ethernet
on Apr 6, 2012 at 12:48:55 am

Yes!

Slower than fw800, but more convenient if your KiPro is in another room.

I have been getting about 13-15MB/sec per file, but ymmv.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Roche
on Apr 7, 2012 at 1:26:23 am

Thanks Jeremy! So that's 15 megabytes or megabits?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2012 at 1:58:00 am

Big B.

Bytes!

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Apr 7, 2012 at 3:05:03 pm

So how, exactly does this work? I see the instructions on how to get the device into this mode but is it really just plug and play or is there some sort of connection process I have to initiate on the computer?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2012 at 3:57:36 pm

Switch to the mode, go in to the Clips interface (or playlists). Select the clips you want and hit "download" at the top of the screen. The clips will download to wherever your browser is set to download, so be sure to set that location in the browser prefs first.

You can also upload from this interface.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:27:53 pm

I'm curious why you'd do this rather than a direct FW800 transfer from the drive. If one could do the transfer during recording, I could see the advantage. But it doesn't look like that's possible.

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:49:56 pm

[Jeff Handy] "I'm curious why you'd do this rather than a direct FW800 transfer from the drive. If one could do the transfer during recording, I could see the advantage. But it doesn't look like that's possible."

For me, as an editor, the KiPros are patched in another room, not right next to me.

I often use KiPros to make digital masters and do any conversions (24p to 29.97, HD to SD, 1080i <-> 720p). Once this is complete, I can bring those files right back to the SAN without having to leave my edit desk.

In a word? Laziness.

In another word, convenience.

It's a welcome feature, I rather like it.

If I am at a shoot and making backups of camera originals, the of course fw800 makes more sense.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:01:15 pm

Same here, but our Ki Pro systems are always recording in the studio. We have a ton of the drives and we just swap as needed. I do like the new rack system. I can see our next two systems being those.

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:39:13 pm

[Jeff Handy] "I can see our next two systems being those."

ditto.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:22:23 pm

[Jeff Handy] "I'm curious why you'd do this rather than a direct FW800 transfer from the drive."

Ok with the new KiProRack units that just came out, the ethernet transfer rates are noticeably faster, in a network on studio facility it would be easier to handle the data stream accross the network than by sneaker net.

Everyone has a different workflow, it's about making tools for lots of different tools that people can use as they see fit.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:54:47 pm

[gary adcock] "Ok with the new KiProRack units that just came out, the ethernet transfer rates are noticeably faster, in a network on studio facility it would be easier to handle the data stream accross the network than by sneaker net. "

I heard that already! News travels fast.

Actually, the 12-15MB/sec isn't the most awful thing in the world as the convenience (for me) trumps the speed.

My question, on the Rack, can you transfer off of one drive while the other is recording via ethernet?

If so, can you send me your demo units for "testing"? ;) Thanks!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on Apr 21, 2012 at 2:01:55 pm

"My question, on the Rack, can you transfer off of one drive while the other is recording via ethernet?"

That's a great question and makes a lot of sense. Better yet, why not open an FTP port and have people avoid the use of the web interface altogether for file transfer?

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:11:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If so, can you send me your demo units for "testing"? ;) Thanks!"

I have not had opportunity to test any of the new stuff yet.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Brian Hall
on May 9, 2012 at 6:56:03 pm

[gary adcock] "with the new KiProRack units that just came out, the ethernet transfer rates are noticeably faster"

Would you be able to quantify that? My facility is really interested in purchasing a bunch of these, but a reasonable ethernet transfer rate is a must. We tested out Ki Pros for our workflow but the ethernet transfer rate was far too slow.

Return to posts index

steve park
on Oct 15, 2012 at 4:23:38 pm

Is there a way to access the file transfer over ethernet ability via the python api?

We're looking to automate a bunch of start/stops from a remote machine.

Once we send a stop command, we'd like to execute a transfer command to copy the file over to another machine.

Is that possible?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]