FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendation for "acceptable" monitoring on the road

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Eaks
Recommendation for "acceptable" monitoring on the road
on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:25:10 am

I need a cheap HD TV to monitor while recording with my Ki Pro. Something under $500, 1920x1080, ~19"-23" (1x1 pixel mapping?). Obviously I'm not looking for perfect color reproduction, just a decent screen that gives a respectable picture to judge framing & iris. Typical use would be in conference rooms, theater's and outdoors occasionally. Shooting with two Sony NX5's, Panasonic AW-HS50 switcher and Ki Pro.

Part of the reason I am even posting this question is because I've noticed that the picture from the Ki Pro's HDMI looks washed-out on the smaller HD TV's (under 23") that I've tried but not any of the larger (40"+), any explanations on that?

I was considering an IPS Monitor. Something like the HP, Dell, and LG's I see all over the web. Would one of these suit my needs?

Just to note, I intend on buying an FSI LM-2340w or similar some time in the next several months to provide a real monitoring solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
Re: commendation for "acceptable" monitoring on the road
on Apr 8, 2012 at 6:05:06 pm

I use SmallHD montor. Very good results for the money.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:15:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, they look nice but don't fit my needs. I record events with a two camera setup. I always have a table for my equipment, consisting of a video switcher, audio mixer, two ~20" TVs (a record and a preview/mulitview) and now, my new Ki Pro to record.

My main problem is that the cheap Vizio TVs I'm using now look washed out when viewing the HDMI output of the Ki Pro but the same tv looks fine from the switchers output. Being that the Ki Pro out is my main record monitor, I need it to look "normal". I'm not doing ultra-color-critical type work and just need a "good enough" solution to judge framing, focus and iris.

All advice is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:29:22 pm

The specs you are asking under $500 is a bit hard.
Alternatively you should buy a Dell monitor and connect strait on the HDMI output of the kiPro.
The BlackMagic Smartview Duo and HD monitors are fine too.

Return to posts index

Jack Guthrey
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:29:27 pm

I'd definitely recommend an IPS panel. I've had Dell Ultrasharps for years and love them. The advantage of them is many input options - including analog video - so they become Swiss army knives. They also have a pixel mapping option so even if it's a 1920*1200 you can do 1x1.

The fact that the Ki is washed out and the switcher is not makes me think that there is an issue of color space between the Ki and your TV. Many times new TVs will have some option of overscan and color mapping but who knows what they're called in the TV.

How important is the physical size of the screen? I'd look into the Blackmagic Pocket Ultrascope - SDI and scopes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]