FORUMS: list search recent posts

Data loss on 64G Card with mini

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Moser
Data loss on 64G Card with mini
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:14:34 pm

Twice my 64G cards needed to be reformatted. One ended in a total data loss. On the other I had already downloaded the files to hard drive and when I went to put the card back in the KiPro Mini, it asked to be re-formatted.
Card:SanDisk 64G 90MB/s Extreme Pro UDMA 6...in other words, an approved card.
Procedure: ALWAYS removed cards after changing slot. ALWAYS ejected card after download was complete.
In both cases I waited a couple of seconds after all indications showed that the cards were ejected before I physically removed them.

In the first case, I dragged and dropped all of the files from the card into the target folder --using a USB reader. At some point during the transfer there was an error and I stopped the transfer and tried to start over. By that time the card was unreadable by the computer and I lost the data.

In the second case, I dragged and dropped a section at a time (about 10-15 takes at each drag and drop).
In that case, the material transferred fine, but when I put the card back into the KiPro Mini, it needed to be reformatted.
In both cases, the cards were full, but not down to 10%.

I suspect there is an issue with the transfer at the computer, not with the KiPro; but I did follow all procedures exactly.
Are these particular cards vulnerable to data loss? Should I try another reader? This one was a simple Pro Master USB CF card reader.

Is drag and drop the wrong way to go with transferring this material? Would a Shotput Pro be nicer to the card? I use it when I transfer sxs cards, but since it's quicktime, I don't use it in this situation.

I was really afraid of data loss the rest of the shoot, though we were fine. In addition, I double recorded onto SxS cards, so in the case of the total loss, I still had the 4:2:0 version.
Any experience or suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Michael Moser

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: Data loss on 64G Card with mini
on Apr 2, 2012 at 11:37:04 pm

The title of this thread is perhaps a bit inaccurate since you note in your post:
"I suspect there is an issue with the transfer at the computer, not with the KiPro."

Since the issues don't seem to be occurring on the Ki Pro Mini, but rather, as described in your post, when using the CompactFlash cards in an USB reader, the problematic item is quite likely the reader as you suspect. You should probably consider using another CompactFlash card reader.

If you need assistance with the Ki Pro Mini, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email Monday through Friday between 9am and 5pm PST.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
Re: Data loss on 64G Card with mini
on Apr 3, 2012 at 12:17:54 am

In fact I did talk to AJA support after posting the question.

I do believe the title is accurate because it was unclear where the problem lies. I was speculating that there may have been some problem in the system which uses a card, a KiPro Mini, a computer, and a downloading procedure.
The card reader that I'm using is of the type that was qualified for use with this system. So is the computer. I'm trying to reduce all the variables and figure out a way to reproduce the problem (or eliminate it).
My next step is to try another card reader with my MacBook Pro. If I can reproduce the problem, then I can focus on the computer as the culprit.

What's interesting is that in the last few months, especially since the firmware in the KiPro has been updated, there are less and less complaints about this problem. In addition, there are ways to recover data even if the card has been compromised. I'd like to feel that recording on the Mini is as rock solid as it's bigger, older brother.

As many have said, and I agree wholeheartedly, these are excellent pieces of equipment and product support is first class.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]