FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue using KiPro v3 + Red Epic + Zacuto Viewfinder

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodrigo Allendes-Fernandez
Issue using KiPro v3 + Red Epic + Zacuto Viewfinder
on Mar 2, 2012 at 4:54:40 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to setting up a Red Epic camera for recording in Ki Pro.

Red Epic have an HDMI and SDI output which don't work simultaneusly. So, to use with Zacuto VF, I have to get signal from HDMI output.

From Red Epic to Zacuto, signal its ok on the Zacuto. When I connect the Zacuto Output to Ki Pro HDMI input, Ki Pro doesn't recognize the signal ("No input" in the front display).

I tried using a Blackmagic HDMI - SDI but is the same issue (No input).

Anyone having this issue? How can I work with Epic, Zacuto VF and Ki Pro?

Best Regards.
Rodrigo

Rodrigo Allendes-Fernandez
Video Assist Operator

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: Issue using KiPro v3 + Red Epic + Zacuto Viewfinder
on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:26:04 pm

The HDMI output of the RED Epic, based on the current RED operational manual for the camera, is designated as a preview output by default; it can be configured for program output. Information regarding the HDMI output of the RED Epic camera can be found on page 14 and page 164 of the RED Epic Operation Guide v2.0.5.

Additional information regarding the configuration of the HDMI output of the RED Epic can be found on page 106, 107. Note that the operation guide specifies:
"NOTE: Some HDMI monitors may have trouble when "AUTO" is selected. In these cases, it is recommended to manually select the maximum monitor resolution provided."

You may need to manually configure the HDMI output for it to be seen by the Ki Pro.

The RED Epic Operation Guide may be obtained from the following link:
https://www.red.com/support/all/downloads

You may also wish to refer to Zacuto's website for information about their EVF product, in particular, this link:
http://www.zacuto.com/electronicviewfinder-faq

The following is stated on this FAQ page of the Zacuto website:
----
Q: Why can’t I get the EVF to work when using the HDMI out to a Teradeck cube, or Ninja (or other device other than an HDMI monitor)?

A: The HDMI out on the EVF was designed with the intention of using another HDMI monitor. The handshake process is different when using monitors versus recording devices or any other devices besides a monitor. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that they will work, but we are doing our best to test all these devices to hopefully get them to work. It is not guaranteed. In order to get the other devices to work you may need to purchase a splitter. SmallHd makes a pretty inexpensive splitter. We have a list of things we are working on to improve with a firmware upgrade.
----

In addition to this information, be sure that the Zacuto EVF is using version 2.0 firmware (or later) as this adds support for 1080p formats. You may find the latest firmware for the Zacuto EVF here:
http://www.zacuto.com/zfinderevf/evf-support

Having provided this information about HDMI and the RED Epic and Zacuto EVF, it should be made clear that AJA supplies support for the RED Epic camera data via SDI connection only. SDI ancillary data from the RED Epic provides timecode, start/stop commands, and file names. When the AJA Ki Pro (using v3.0 firmware) is used alongside the camera, the CONFIG menu parameter 13.1 Camera Data may be set to RED Epic. Important operational information about working with the RED Epic and the Camera Data menu parameter is supplied on page 63 and page 64 of the AJA Ki Pro Operation Guide. You may obtain the Ki Pro operation guide from this link:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/AJA_Ki_Pro_Guide_3.0.pdf

You might consider connecting the SDI output of the RED Epic camera to the Ki Pro and then the HDMI output of the Ki Pro to the Zacuto EVF. Keep in mind that if you elect to do this, you may also wish to configure CONFIG menu parameter 1.3 1080p Playback to Progressive so that if you playback material on the Ki Pro, it will be output as progressive so that it is compatible with HDMI. You can read more about this on page 56 of the Ki Pro manual.

If you have questions about Ki Pro, don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email, Monday through Friday, between 9am and 5pm PST.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]