FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconversion recording

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Handy
Downconversion recording
on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:43:00 pm

Does anyone know of a problem recording SD 4:3 (cropped) from an HD signal? I was told the cropping function can only be used on output, but not to the recorder. Is there a problem in the firmware being addressed, or is my source mistaken?

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Downconversion recording
on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:00:59 pm

I'll go do a quick test for you. Be back shortly.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:24:02 pm

Downscale and crop on input appears to function correctly.

My test-

NX5 HD-SDI out (1920x1080) to Ki Pro HD-SDI in. Ki Pro set to in-convert>SD and down-convert>Crop. Live monitoring and playback on an HDTV shows cropped image as expected.

Does this answer your question?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:48:31 am

FYI, I just finished a shoot where the client requested the recording to be 4:3 SD. I basically did the same thing as in my example above (1080 out from the NX5's, through my Panasonic AWHS-50 Switcher and down-convert w/ crop on Ki Pro input).

During some testing before the shoot, there was a strange occurance where the HDMI output from the Ki Pro was almost completely green. One of two things fixed it, either cycling the "in convert" setting from "SD" to "None" and back to "SD" or cycling the transport mode from playback then returning to record (stop) mode. Sorry, not sure which one fixed it, but I thought I'd let you know that I did experience an issue during down convert w/ crop and that I was able to get around it. Also worth noting is that I experienced the same issue with two Ki Pro's (which is probably why I can't recall which method actually remedied the output problem).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]