FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting HD Recorder AJA or Blackmagic

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amardeep Nagi
Selecting HD Recorder AJA or Blackmagic
on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:48:59 pm

i record live weddings,events.i m really confused which recorder to use AJA KI PRO or Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Studio..things about this two recorders came to my knowledge is that AJA record proress 422 and Blackmagic Captures Uncompressed HD QuickTime Files. my concern is that i edit on FCP 7 and i m really willin not to spend on AJA but the footage of blackmagic , does it intergrates with FCP 7. setup can be sony HXRNX5U camera ,Switcher can be ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher & confused between AJA ki pro or Blackmagic Hyper Deck.

NOTHING IS PERMANENT

Return to posts index

Bryce Button
Re: Selecting HD Recorder AJA or Blackmagic
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:45:44 am

Hi Amardeep,

As usual when it comes to picking a tool, its best to look at what all your needs may entail. At AJA we currently offer two Ki Pro models; the Ki Pro and the Ki Pro Mini.

The first offers all the connectivity you might need, from HD/SD-SDI to Component In and Out with the added benefit of a full blown hardware based converter for Up/Down and Cross-conversion.

This product is the product you would want to look at for long format recording as drives can be had up to 500GB and the choice of recording formats between ProRes HQ, ProRes, ProRes LT and ProRes Proxy offers you a wealth of quality vs record time options. This seems to me to be ideal for the application you have, namely long wedding shoots.

The AJA Ki Pro Mini is similar to the Ki Pro, but instead of Storage Modules, it uses high-speed CompactFlash cards, emphasizing portability for roles where size matters and conversion and I/O option diversity aren't needed. You still of course have all the digital connections you need with HD/SD-SDI and HDMI.

All Ki Pros are intuitive to operate. The familiar VTR-like buttons provide immediate controls for basic operation and camera data support means that recordings can be triggered automatically by TC, Camera stop/start via Lanc and more. The menu system is simple and straightforward as well.

The LAN connection further allows you to configure the Ki Pros via a web browser as well as transfer files to your edit station with the soon to be released 3.0 firmware upgrade.

Its also important to note that the standard Ki Pro can even be controlled via Wireless 802.11 with an iPhone or computer.

We believe that the Ki Pro family is rich in utility with all the options built in, and there is so much to explore that I would recommend that you visit our website at:
http://www.aja.com/products/kipro/ki-pro/ki-pro-description.php to learn more about all they can do.

It appears from your post that cost is also a factor in your thinking. All I might suggest on that front, is that you always look at the total cost of ownership. This would include drives, backup storage needs, editing ease and flexibility in the real time editing environment within FCP.

Respectfully

Bryce

Bryce Button
AJA Product Marketing Manager
http://www.aja.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]