FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV tape to a possible 4:2:2 color space

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cambiz a. khosravi
HDV tape to a possible 4:2:2 color space
on Dec 27, 2011 at 1:10:19 am

I have original HDV tapes shot on my Canon H1 which I am able to play back through SDI cable connected to a AJA PRO MINI. My question is: will I benefit by transferring the original HDV footage to the FC disc of the AJA? Will it upgrade from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 and hopefully from 25Mbts to 100? Please say it is so.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: HDV tape to a possible 4:2:2 color space
on Dec 27, 2011 at 2:30:15 pm

You will never have more than your captured originally.

YES, capturing via the HDSDI will not "upgrade" previously captured footage into a 10bit ProRes container, it will have been converted into the best possible via this hardware conversion/ decompression as the HDSDI stream is an uncompressed output, but recording errors and compression artifacts may still cause issues.

NOTE: A live output signal from the camera has not been processed and would be a higher quality recording. If you want the highest quality recording with the KiPro Mini, record from the camera live while shooting, not afterwards.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

cambiz a. khosravi
on Dec 27, 2011 at 6:41:13 pm

Thank you for your quick response. Sorry for being unclear about my specific problem which is that for the documentary that I am working on all the tapes were shot on HDV. So my question is: what would be the best way to get them loaded on to FCP. I thought that one way would be to recopy them on the AJA PRP/FC cards at 100mbps and then import them via ProRes. And now the other issue is: can I also, from now on, simultaneously record on tape as well as the AJA PRO?
Hopefully,
Cambiz

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 28, 2011 at 2:58:20 am

Playing from the camera into the Mini is a great way to get your clips converted at the highest quality, you are using the camera's hardware, as designed, to deliver the files. By recording that signal as ProRes, you are allowing the highest possible quality to be used in post.

And YES, from now on you can use the KiPro Mini while shooting to get that quality right onset, without transcoding.

Make sure you check the setup to allow the Mini to start and stop recording automatically (via TC as RP188 and the ArmRec function) so the Tc on the ProRes files mirror the camera originals !

Jeremy and I have both posted numerous times about those settings, so a search here on the Cow should give you the menu setting that I do not have off the top of my head.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]