FORUMS: list search recent posts

overheating

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
overheating
on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:12:53 pm

I lent my Ki Pro to a production team. They used their own KI Pro drives for it. They told me it shut down during the shoot due to overheating (it was in a portabrace Ki Pro bag). After it cooled, they booted it up and continued to use it. Did the shut off protect the Ki Pro from any permanent damage? Anyone have any experience with porta brace ki pro bag during long shoots or having an overheating problem with ki pro?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: overheating
on Oct 30, 2011 at 10:18:54 pm

The PortaBrace bag designed for the Ki Pro must have it's ventilation flaps opened to avoid the chance of heat related issues. It is possible that the flaps on the bag were not opened as needed leading to the overheating. In general, Ki Pros are not impacted by overheating, but in the event that an over temperature is encountered, the Ki Pro will power down to avoid damage.

Since you were able to operate the unit again, there is likely no harm to the unit. If you have any concerns about the unit, don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email Monday through Friday.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

wolfgang schabhuettl
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:05:53 am

the kipro has an massive overheat problem :- (

last summer the only way was to use a coolingpack

http://www.endurance.at/buidln/kipro.jpg

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Oct 31, 2011 at 2:02:32 am

The Ki Pro is designed to dissipate heat from the ribbed Storage Module; by placing items on top of the Storage Module, as shown in your image, you are compromising the ability to dissipate heat. Stacking items on top of the unit is not recommended. If you question the operation of a product or are uncertain about its operational parameters, please consider contacting AJA Technical Support. The service is provided free of charge and they will be happy to assist you.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

wolfgang schabhuettl
on Oct 31, 2011 at 2:39:28 pm

nono, the hardrive was not on top of the kipro while working
only the coolpack

http://www.endurance.at/buidln/kipro2.jpg

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:19:17 am

Yes I spent a good 1/2 hour with the porta brace bag figuring out how it was designed to be used. Found the flaps with the vents, had the bottom velcro-ed open. The top open, etc. It has a strap designed to hang under the head of the tripod which I guess would let in more air than not hanging but may interfere with tripod operation.I always used the Ki pro open on a cart next to my audio mixer. Given the overheat problem I'll most likely never use the bag during a shoot unless it's a short outdoor run and gun kind of thing. Though for those I'd most likely stay with the native codec of the cam and carry less gear. I think the exo skel. would be the best option assuming you have a tripod capable of handling the increased weight.

Would turing the ki pro off during breaks be a good idea? This particular shoot ran over 7 hours.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:08:19 pm

Using the AJA Exoskeleton accessory with the Ki Pro is a great way to keep the unit with the camera and allow proper ventilation of the unit.

Again don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support if you have questions.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]