FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro Mini card errors

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan luke
Ki Pro Mini card errors
on Oct 24, 2011 at 9:45:53 pm

I have 2 sandisk extreme 64 gig cards for my KPM. I record using the sdi out of my JVC 250U, recording 720p 23.98

I frequently get error messages where the card won't mount and I'll be warned to "backup and reformat" This will happen to me when I am in no position to "backup and reformat".

Often it is in the middle of a shooting day when I have gone from one location to another, powering the unit off and on.

So what I do is switch from card A to card B and worry about the reformat issue later. But yesterday it happened to both cards and I ended up shooting the last 40 minutes of stuff relying on tape.

When I do get back to a laptop and card reader, the cards open just fine and all the files that were recorded are there.

The odd thing that I noticed yesterday, when I inserted the corrupted cards back into the KPM after doing nothing more than copying the files from the card to a hard drive, They mounted just fine.

It's kind of driving me crazy. I try my damnedest to follow procedure, making sure that the cards have been freshly formatted at the beginning of a shoot, proper use of the slot button, wait for shut down to complete before pulling the power, wait for media to mount before recording (this is the hardest one, it takes SOOOO LOONG for this thing to boot up and mount the cards).

Am I the only one experiencing this? Could it be my $1k worth of cards are crap?

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: Ki Pro Mini card errors
on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:14:58 am

Typically when users see the "Backup and Reformat" prompt, as you are seeing, it means that the cards are being removed prematurely from the unit. While it sounds like you are following the correct procedure by using the SLOT button to unmount the media, perhaps you aren't waiting a sufficient amount of time for the LED indicators to go from lit to unlit on the unit. Only when this occurs is it safe to remove the media. You can also tell if it is safe to remove the media from looking at the display UI as the Reel and Slot information in the UI will both display as "N/A" when the media has truly been unmounted.

Regarding this statement, "The odd thing that I noticed yesterday, when I inserted the corrupted cards back into the KPM after doing nothing more than copying the files from the card to a hard drive, They mounted just fine."

Because the Ki Pro Mini formats media as HFS+, by nature, directory errors, caused by premature removal of the media from the Ki Pro Mini, are often resolved by simply mounting the HFS+ volumes under Mac OS X. When the OS tries to mount the volume, it will often resolve small directory errors meaning that when the media is re-inserted into the Ki Pro Mini, the cause of the "Backup and Reformat" prompt has been cleared.

If you have questions or need assistance, don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email between 9am and 5pm PST via phone or email - they are happy to help.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

dan luke
on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:03:11 am

I should not have to unmount a card before I power down right? How about building a "small directory error" correction routine into the software program?

Return to posts index

dan luke
on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:07:02 am

I am not removing the cards when I get the error message. Merely turning the unit off and then back on.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:40:59 am

Properly powering down the unit should not cause any issue with the CF cards. You should consider contacting AJA Technical Support to review your operation of the Ki Pro Mini. Again, AJA Technical Support may be reached via phone or email between 9am and 5pm PST.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]