FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone know any large volume storage solutions?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Nimmo
Anyone know any large volume storage solutions?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:01:17 am

Hi,

So I am currently on a show that has a MASSIVE amount of records to deal with. All 1080i recordings. Everything was recorded on Ki Pros. All the footage has to be dumped on to drives that will be sold to the client. Which normally isn't a problem, but the enormous volume of footage on this show has turned this into a bit of a nightmare. So far I have transferred ten terabytes of footage onto consumer Seagate two terabyte drives to resell to the client. I have been transferring files for three solid days now (I set alarms at night so that I can get up and start the next transfer, so everything is going 24 hours a day), and I still have eight KiPro drives to go! The real kicker is that there are a few different drives going to different people. So some footage gets dumped here, some there, etc. Also the recordings are coming from many different rooms, two general sessions, a bunch of breakout rooms etc. So one central recording location isn't really an option.

I was wondering if anyone knows a better way to go about this other than just firewire 800 and a Mac. I have never dealt with this kind of volume before but I am sure someone has. We will be doing this show again in a few months and I would like to be better prepared next time. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Anyone know any large volume storage solutions?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 12:25:33 pm

[Rob Nimmo] "was wondering if anyone knows a better way to go about this other than just firewire 800 and a Mac. "

I do this level of data transfers all the time and NEVER use just a mac and FW800, On a normal set I move between 300-750G of data per day.

I always move the data from what ever it was recorded on to a Raided disc array, that affords me speed of transfer and a redundant backup, then I am no longer cobbled by the copying while writing via FW. With a multi-interface drive I can then make multple copies via esata rather than relying on FW.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Rob Nimmo
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:44:33 am

Any recommendations on what raided disc array to use? Are you talking internal or external drives? At the end I have to hand all these drives off to clients, and they need to be able to easily access them with home computers. So with firewire 800 or USB. I was thinking maybe something like this: http://www.promax.com/s-58-satamaxfx4.aspx Then I could connect eSATA at least to that drive, and dump multiple kipro firewire drives at once too it. I was hoping that might speed things up.

Also, 750 gig of data a day doesn't quite cut it to stay on top of this. In two days we recorded over ten terabytes of data. I am starting to think that there is no way around that kind of volume, it is just going to take forever no matter what. Is there maybe a better recording solution than using kipros? Something that can record straight to large consumer drives but is still reliable?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:51:34 am

[Rob Nimmo] "At the end I have to hand all these drives off to clients, and they need to be able to easily access them with home computers. So with firewire 800 or USB"

Correct- the delivery drives are different than the arrays-

Understand that when you are using the same buss ( FW orUSB) to read and write from cuts the thruput by more than 1/2 of what is possible.

I personally prefer external arrays, but internal arrays would just be slower without as much redundancy.

I currently have disc arrays from Maxx, GTech and JMR that all run over SAS but I am testing Thunderbolt units that will change everything.

[Rob Nimmo] "Also, 750 gig of data a day doesn't quite cut it to stay on top of this."

that is per camera data and I am currently working on a 3-rig Stereo project- that is over 4.5 T per day in data that uses a 3 person team to maintain data for each rig separately- you scale personnel to match the amount of data being produced.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Pete Court
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:24:53 am

Hello everyone,
I just got my first Ki Pro and I think the question I have pertains to this thread. If not please direct me to the proper forum as a new member I want to interface well into this community.

My question is:
Do I have to record to the internal drive when recording or can I push the record to a firewire 800 drive I can hand the client without having to move it? We are an AV staging company and the last day of record is difficult to find the time to transfer the records while everyone is trying to strike. I was using FS-2 firestores and the push to an external drive during record was not supported. It might be that selling the client the internal removable drive is the only solution.
Thanks for your help.
Newbie,
Pete

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Sep 28, 2011 at 8:39:28 pm

The AJA Ki Pro only hosts the storage that is inserted into it; it cannot host external storage. Hosting external storage would not allow AJA to properly qualify the attached storage; if a user could attach any FireWire drive to the unit, there isn't any guarantee that the media would have sufficient bandwidth to record Apple ProRes 422 QuickTime files without issue.

If you have additional questions about the AJA Ki Pro or it's operation, don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email, Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm PST. The support is provided free of charge and they are happy to help answer your questions.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Pete Court
on Oct 2, 2011 at 12:47:39 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I guess what I'm looking for is not here yet.
My clients are A/V Staging clients with small budgets and high demand. What we need is an A/V version of an EVS network we use in broadcast. With Apples Thunderbolt and LaCei SSD drives we should be able to push the Video from the Ki Pro real time to the drive that is shared with a Play Back Pro Plus grabbing clips on the fly.

If anyone knows where I might find this I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Pete

Pete Court
VideoGO Inc
http://WWW.videogoinc.com

Return to posts index

Phil Vincent
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:36:34 pm

Try a Cinedeck RX, they let you right to an Esata or USB3 drive instead of the internal drives. Pretty sweet kit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]