FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync Timecode with Audio Recorders

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodrigo Allendes-Fernandez
Sync Timecode with Audio Recorders
on Sep 13, 2011 at 7:40:59 am

I´m trying to sync a Roland R4 Pro, with my Ki Pro, but I can´t.

My Config is:
Video In : SDI / Audio In: SDI / Genlock: Input / Timecode: SDIRP188 / Arm Recording: Kec Key+TC

I'm working with Arri Alexa. The Audio is recording directly to Alexa, but the production wants get the BackUp of the recording sound, with the same TC of the camera.

Roland R4 Pro have TC input and output over BNC conectors. I'd tried send the TC from the KiPro using a BNC cable from my LTC output to the R4 TC input, but doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Video Assist Operator

Return to posts index

Sandor Bondorowsky
Re: Sync Timecode with Audio Recorders
on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:26:28 pm

I'm pretty sure the KiPRO does not de-embed timecode from the SDI stream, so you aren't going to get it on the TC out. Does the ALexa have a TC out? You could jam the R4 to the camera and just let it roll.

Sandor Bondorowsky
Remote Digital Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2011 at 5:51:29 pm

You should get a clockit box (or similar) to send common tc everywhere. The KiPro won't pass through LTC as has been suggested.

If that doesn't work, I would get tc from Alexa if you can, if not, then get tc from the Roland. Or have the Roland generate common tc if you can.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 14, 2011 at 8:17:57 am

you either have embedded TC or LTC.

the Kipro does not extract TC from an embedded stream, on most of the shoots I work on the MASTER TC comes from Audio.

After the clockit device is used to Sync the Camera then just put it on the Roland.

make sure to resync the camera after a battery change or anytime the camera has set without recording for more than an hour, as the TC can drift ( but just a litte)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Sep 14, 2011 at 6:03:58 pm

I'm using the R4-Pro to feed the Ki-Pro, Cameras, and TC display with no issues. Just make sure you use the right type of DA.

Chuck

Return to posts index

on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:10:28 am

Chuck,

Do you remember how it was connected and synced?

Type of cables? What connectors was used? How many times a day? what if you have several days; Separate the data by "date"? Only method is free run TC? Its impossible to set it as Rec-Run?

Any experience with Arri Alexa? Alexa has a lemo 5pin connector. What type of cable you need to jam the TC.

On my point of view, the camera should be the master TC, for takes in MOS mode which made between SYNC scenes.

Video Assist Operator

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:36:09 pm

[Rodrigo Allendes-Fernandez] "Any experience with Arri Alexa? Alexa has a lemo 5pin connector. What type of cable you need to jam the TC.
On my point of view, the camera should be the master TC, for takes in MOS mode which made between SYNC scenes.
"

Arri ( along with many others) make adapter cables, a good rental house should have the cable, have theme get a cable with the alexa.

As for master TC- Audio always creates the Master TC when shooting dual system sound in the US as well as most of the rest of the world. this is becuase cameras are notorious for not staying in sync ( and that does include both alexa and red's cameras)

Even when shooting MOS or VFX plates.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:21:05 pm

I am using BNC cables as all of my equipment has “standard” TC ins/outs I generate time of day time code on the Edirol and the cameras’ file structure is the date and time, making organization a cinch. I am going to back Gary on this and say you need to get a clockit or some other TC generator and jam sync everything. All I can tell you, is that everything works, and I have been doing it that way for years.

Chuck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]