FORUMS: list search recent posts

KI Pro Workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
KI Pro Workflow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 12:38:00 pm

We're shooting an event with two EX3 cameras and 2 Ki Pro's. I personally have never used these before, but my crew has. My questions is how do we transfer the footage to a hard drive for the client to take back to their shop? They'll be editing the footage.

Do I need to bring a Macbook pro to the event? Do I need the sony transfer software? Can someone walk me through the workflow? Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: KI Pro Workflow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:12:12 pm

When finished shooting, eject the drive from the KiPro, hook it up to a computer via a firewire cable. Copy the files directly or use a program like ShotPut Pro to copy and verify (recommended) the files. It's that easy.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:11:05 pm

Make sure when "ejecting" you use the "slot" button to move read/write capabilities off of the main KiPro disk. After the green light goes out on the KiPro next to the disk, then it is OK to push the eject button and slide the disk out of the chassis. The KiPro panel will say "N/A" on the front as well.

The KiPro disks are fw800 drives. You will need a computer with fw800 capability, and a connection for your client drives as well, whether that be eSATA, fw, USB, whatever.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:03:08 pm

The Ki Pro will record ProRes from the SDI output of the camera so no need for the sony software for transcoding. The ProRes files the KiPro makes are ready to edit in FCP and some other NLEs.
There is 2 ch of analog audio if the EX3 doesn't do embedded audio. There is also TC i/o.
All the files the ki pro creates are written to the onboard hard drive in a folder named AJA copied easily as the others have pointed out

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Frank Jordon
on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:35:29 pm

Do you have to use multiple HDD Storage Modules if you wanted to use multiple drives or can you open the module and use several drives?

I need to record a conference and need to capture 8 hours a day for 5 days. It appears a 500 GB module is close to $400 which makes it prohibitive to buy 5. But if you can swap out the drive then that would work.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:55:55 pm

The modules are sealed, stand alone items.

You would have to get multiple modules. Maybe 3 would work. One recording, one offloading, and a standby.

If you record in LT, you should be able to get 8 hours of record time.

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Allendes-Fernandez
on Sep 13, 2011 at 7:24:01 am

What if you use the lunch time for offload the recorded data onto a laptop? Sure, at 422 Std, you will get great quality into a reasonable file size.

So, I reccomend you get enough of free space on you laptop. 500Gb x 5 days need 3Tb, Maybe lees, depending your recording quality (HQ, Std, LT)

If the V3 of KiPro Softawe is released before your work, you´ll don´t need eject the drive from Ki Pro; you'll be able for download KiPro files directly to your computer trought the FW800 port.

Some one knows if this function will be possible when KiPro is Recording / Stand By / Off?

Rodrigo Allendes-Fernandez
Video Assist Operator

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:50:07 pm

[Rodrigo Allendes-Fernandez] "Some one knows if this function will be possible when KiPro is Recording / Stand By / Off?"

Definitely not during recording as the drive won't have enough bandwidth to read and write at the same time, I would imagine.

Probably not when it's off.

Stand by, as in not paying back or recording, I would say yes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Sep 14, 2011 at 6:11:44 pm

Any guess if there might be a new page on the GUI to pull files via network Jeremy or do you think the computer will see the Ki-Pro as a drive just as with working with the module? I am wondering as I work in a strictly PC world and have to figure out if I'll need another copy of MacDrive.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2011 at 6:39:17 pm

[Chuck Pullen] "Any guess if there might be a new page on the GUI to pull files via network Jeremy or do you think the computer will see the Ki-Pro as a drive just as with working with the module?"

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that network might not be enabled for file transfer. To put the box in fw800 mode for file transfers, I imagine it will be some sort of "mode" to keep from trying to playback/record while transferring because of the single drive. This is all just a guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]