FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot copy file from Ki Pro HD to Mac Pro HD, says it's corrupt

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miro Segura
Cannot copy file from Ki Pro HD to Mac Pro HD, says it's corrupt
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:32:24 pm

Hi there,

A while back we were recording a series of interviews at ProRes HQ with the Ki Pro HD, not the SD (solid state) version. When we tried to import the footage all but two files were copied over. We tried dragging the files to the desktop but it would not allow us to do this and said the file(s) could not be read.

So our next step/approach was to open up FCP and import the file directly from the Ki Pro HD to our FCP project. This worked. We then dragged the file into a timeline and placed in and out points to render out a file to our computer hard drive.

One note on this, when we scrubbed the timeline we came across the corrupted area of the file and it automatically crashed FCP! We had to go back and make sure that we only exported the areas that weren't corrupted. However, we still lost valuable footage but some footage was better than nothing.

We called AJA and told them our problem, they claimed no one has ever reported this problem to them. I find this very hard to believe and I want to hear if anyone out there has had this problem.

This has happened to us twice on separate shoots using the settings of ProRes HQ.

I am very wary of continuing to use the Ki Pro on shoots and am looking for any solutions that can remedy my problem.

Many thanks,
Miro

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: Cannot copy file from Ki Pro HD to Mac Pro HD, says it's corrupt
on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:00:27 pm

Sorry to hear you had problems with your recent use of the Ki Pro. Problems with footage are very rare and are usually related to removing media inappropriately or an actual disk i/o error. It's possible that your physical disk inside of the Ki Pro Storage Module has some directory issue or a bad sector. AJA can issue an RMA for the Storage Module if you'd like. Simply contact AJA Technical Support to arrange this.

Regarding removing the media appropriately: always be sure to use the SLOT button to properly remove the media. This step helps eliminate the potential for directory errors. If you have not been doing this, the directory for the media can become corrupted and lead to potential write and read issues.

Again, if you would like your Ki Pro Storage Module replaced, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support for an RMA.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:19:57 pm

Would diskwarrior or somehing like it be able to help by rebuilding the directory?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:35:38 pm

With minor directory errors, simply connecting the Ki Pro Storage Module to a Mac OS X based computer typically resolves the issue. However, with more serious directory errors, the Ki Pro will actually report "WARNING Backup and Reformat". In such cases, it is wise to copy the clips off of the media to your edit system and then, on the Ki Pro, perform a reformat of the media. As noted in the previous post, if the issue is a disk i/o error, such as a bad sector, AJA will gladly RMA the unit and replace it with a new Storage Module.

If there is an issue with an individual clip, AJA would typically recommend AeroQuartet to recover the file:
http://www.aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair.html

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:26:59 am

I encountered the same problem.
I was recording when it stopped recording by itself after 156GB. It was recording my program out of the mixer. So no dropped frames etc.
Trying to copy to Mac OSX does not succeed, so for the moment I'm editing with shaking hands from the disk directly.
After the edit I will check for baf sectors.

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on Sep 3, 2011 at 6:09:46 am

I have more news about it.
Since I couldn't copy the file to my project drive, I edited the footage from the AJA harddisk and stayed away from the last seconds. As it crashed FCP more then ones.
After I finished the editing I ran TechTool Pro 5 Surface scan on that drive.
It found 3451 bad blocks, and counting up. After 30 hours of scanning it was still not done, so I stopped.
The drive goes back in RMA...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]