FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have they given up on the original Ki Pro?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Medias
Have they given up on the original Ki Pro?
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:12:16 am

In the release notes for version 2.0 (Released 9/27/2010) this paragraph was included:

The following features are not implemented with this firmware release, but are planned for future firmware releases:
• ExpressCard/34 media support • LANC and Lens Tap control of the device • Use of FireWire 400 port for timecode data • Use of FireWire 800 port for connecting Ki Pro to host computer as "media reader"

All of the above were features I was told would be "available soon" at the 2010 NAB show. I was told the same thing this year. While the "mini" is nice, AJA should be able to continue development of functionality that was planed for the original KI Pro!

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
Re: Have they given up on the original Ki Pro?
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:33:24 pm

I would hate to agree, but I think you are on to something. My guess is that as much potential as the Ki Pro has to replace traditional VTR’s, the mini has a wider range of uses, and thus has more sales potential. I really love my Ki Pro, and if they ever all of the promised features added, I would probably buy one or two more.

Chuck

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:44:23 pm

The original Ki Pro continues to receive development efforts. The work to implement additional functionality and features is on-going. We apologize for the time it is taking to develop some features. A free firmware update for the device will be forthcoming.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Richard Medias
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:55:16 pm

Thanks, very soon I hope!

I agree with Chuck, if these added features were in place I'd buy a few more for the edit suite.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:20:15 pm

What AJA has to realize is that even though they have a unique product today, Blackmagic just released a new VTR that uses SSD drives. If they come out with a "mini" version of that soon, AJA may see many customers jumping ship since they can purchase their own drives.

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:37:15 pm

The Blackmagic device (and others like it) actually make the original KiPro more unique and useful for users like me. We use KiPro like a traditional VTR. Being able to record for extended periods at that price point is unique, as far as I know. Many of us don't have media wranglers to switch out and manage cards or SSD's. The BM device records only uncompressed, so even with a large SSD, you will be swapping out drives every 20 min or so.

Gordon

Return to posts index

Richard Medias
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:34:44 pm

Thanks for your input!

Imagine how useful it would be if you could record and then mount the machine via firewire 800. Or, if you could dub ypbr from your HDV deck and capture the T/C from firewire 400, or dub from HDV directly via firewire 400/800. Those functions would be useful to us right now. You're right it's great a machine in the suite.

We tape events in HDV and the KI Pro is a fast reliable way to digitize from those tapes directly to Prorez in real time. We often need more than 2 hrs of record time and more than 1 or 2 platforms to record so that's why we chose HDV tape as an affordable format. Also, HDV is an excellent way to archive the material. Please don't start the 422 long gop discussion here. For our purposes we can afford the loss of color space. It's the productivity/workflow gain we want/need.

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:12:22 pm

My point really is that AJA should (in their own best interest) keep developing the big KiPro as it has less competition in the marketplace. The little camera mounted recorders are popping up everywhere.

G

Return to posts index

Richard Medias
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:34:49 pm

Agree 100%

Return to posts index

Ralph Pascucci
on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:03:21 pm

Just saw this thread. I think it's unfortunate that AJA (who make great stuff) abandoned the Key Pro "big" so quickly. I too was under the impression that the features promised in the 2.0 release were "coming soon".

Much of what the min can do is also available from Atomos Ninja for less $$!

Let's hope AJA will get back to the "big" soon. They're already up to version 2.6 for the "mini"!

Return to posts index

David Roche
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:25:32 pm

I'm assuming that you guys read this in another post on the KiPro forum...

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/269/1611

Just announced at IBC in Amsterdam is new v3 firmware for the Ki Pro, and Ki Pro Mini. This is the first unified release for both products, and also introduces many long-awaited and highly requested features to Ki Pro, along with some new surprises.

Here's a partial list of some of what you can expect to see in v3 for Ki Pro:

- RED One, RED Epic, and Canon XF SDI metadata support.
- LANC and lens tap ports enabled.
- 1080i/30 and 720p/60 support.
- "Super Out" timecode and transport status window-burn.
- Menu option to continue recording after a loss of video input.
- FireWire 800 file transfer.
- Redesigned webUI with new playlist support.
- ExpressCard slots enabled for up to 1080i ProRes SQ recording.

For Ki Pro Mini owners, here is a partial feature list for the new v3 firmware:

- LANC port enabled.
- "Super Out" timecode and transport status window-burn.
- Menu option to continue recording after a loss of video input.
- Redesigned webUI with new playlist support.
- HMDI timecode support for certain Sony cameras.

v3 firmware is a significant release for Ki Pro that is expected to ship next month as a free upgrade for all Ki Pro owners. We will post here on the Cow when v3 is ready to download, you can always find more information at http://www.aja.com. I also invite you to contact us at any time via email or phone if you have any questions.

I hope you will enjoy the new functionality v3 brings to Ki Pro.

Best regards,

Nick Rashby
President, AJA Video Systems

Return to posts index

Richard Medias
on Sep 18, 2011 at 1:16:22 am

Can't wait, thanks!

Return to posts index

Ralph Pascucci
on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:14:35 pm

Nick,

Still waiting for the V3 release.... Much of the things discussed in this thread were "vaporware" at NAB two years ago! The Key Pro is a good box and as someone else mentioned, it can replace a tape machine in many situations. Work flow is critical and having to shut down, unmount, plug-in, power up, and mount a drive gets to be a bit much. Especially when you're looking at a firewire 400 and 800 port that doesn't do anything!

Will stop by at NAB to pick up my V3 release in April.

R

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:31:38 am

Version 3.0 firmware, released today, provides the functionality you commented about in your post. Please feel free to visit the AJA website to download this latest version.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email for assistance.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Pascucci
on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:39:49 pm

Thanx, that's great news!

Will still drop by @ NAB.

R

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]