FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro Mini evaluation Australia Monday

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maloney
Ki Pro Mini evaluation Australia Monday
on May 18, 2011 at 3:14:21 am

Hi All,

Next Monday in Melbourne we will be having a swift look at the Ki Pro mini at our facility.

We are always wary of what we read compared to real world outcomes of equipment developed in the 60HZ world but implemented in the 50HZ world.

I'm starting with the Ki Pro Mini in our evaluation process as we are extremely impressed by AJA's engineering credentials as owners of a Kona 3 card.

I'm aware that there are potentially four or five alternatives, namely atomos, Black Magic, Sound Devices, Fast Forward Video etc. The Ki Pro mini is here now and our good friends at Digistor are going to loan us a demo unit.

The market for these devices as alternatives to proprietry media and bypassing the compression in camera is fantastic.

We'll be hooking up the following cameras.

Panasonic Varicam F model
Panasonic HPX 3000
Sony EX3
Panasonic AF 102
Panasonic 3D1 Stereo ( Left Channel )
Canon 5D Mk11

We won't be evaluating picture quality but recording outcomes and post paths. Its a given that ProRes will improve all outcomes ( Barring perhaps AVCINTRA 100 )

We'll be particularly interested in camera trigger recording, slo motion, flagged frames and the like.

If people would like to start discussion about some of the harder tasks we should be setting ourselves to look at - lets talk.

Best

Tim Maloney
Axis Films Australia

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
Axis Films Melbourne Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ki Pro Mini evaluation Australia Monday
on May 18, 2011 at 2:05:53 pm

You'll love it.

-You can pretty much rule out the 5D as the recording you get out of the HDMI is not a clean/usable signal, and there's no tc to match back to the orig files if you wanted to use the recordings for an 'offline' of sorts.

-Under/overcranking isn't quite enabled yet, but you can definitely extract 25p from 720 sources that carry flagged frames.

-Buy more media cards, and of course use AJA's recommends posted on their website.

-If you are looking to add metadata while shooting, I highly recommend controlling the Ki through ethernet/computer. It's much easier to see what's going on, and can help as a "pre-organization" of your shoot. make sure to setup the Ki ethernet controls/computer network controls before you begin shooting. You can also get a list of what's on the card and control the switching of slots.

-If in a run and gun situation, it is helpful to preformat all of your CF cards before you start shooting to save time in a crunch (isn't it always a crunch?).

-If recording 1080psf, make sure to set the Ki to PsF mode. In case your forget, this field order flag can be changed later in the resulting QT movies if you forget using something like JES Extensifier (or FCP). The files will be flagged as i, but in reality they will still be 'p' as psf can get.

-If recording true 1080p, make sure to use the Progressive recording mode.

-There's no spanning of CF cards, so make sure to be aware of your record time and switch cards appropriately. This is especially true if shooting longer takes/interviews/time lapse which will require a pause in the recording, and a manual slot switch. Be sure to practice the timing on switching slots as I find the feedback in the form of the LED lights and screen can take longer than you think.

-If you are not going to mount the Ki on the camera, I highly recommend the little desktop stand that AJA sells.

Have fun because it's more fun that way.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 18, 2011 at 4:48:23 pm

Um, ditto. With a couple of additions-

[Jeremy Garchow] "I highly recommend controlling the Ki through ethernet/computer."

Only issue is that the TC goes to zeros when there is no TC going into the unit via SDI. Wish it would freeze the display on the last TC it saw from the SDI input.

Don't use the web interface to start/stop recording. There is a delay/lag, and several times I've had the unit lock up while trying to control/playback from the web interface. You have to be patient when using the webinterface for any function. if you get to punchy with trying to format, set default clip/reel names etc, the KiPro can loose its head quite easily. Nothing a reboot won't cure, but the boot times on this thing aren't stellar either.

[Jeremy Garchow] "here's no spanning of CF cards, so make sure to be aware of your record time and switch cards appropriately. "

Not sure if they all do this, but ours will stop recording when there is 10% left on the card. Boom, your're done. It will close out the file, but there's no warning. And like stated above, it takes longer to unmount and remount the other card that it seems.

Otherwise its a great little unit. So far.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on May 18, 2011 at 6:29:34 pm

If you are experiencing a delay or sluggishness with the web UI interactions, you might want to review your configuration and make changes to produce optimal results. For optimal results, you might wish to use a static IP address (as opposed to DHCP) and either the Safari or Firefox web browsers.

The Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini both provide alarms for low media capacity and for full media. These alarms are detailed on page 28 of the version 2.5 Ki Pro Mini Manual:
----
"WARNING Media Low" will appear when the media only has 15% of capacity remaining. Media must be switched out when it reaches 10% of capacity. With 10% of media remaining, the "WARNING Media Full" prompt will appear.
----

If you have any additional operational questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email for assistance.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 18, 2011 at 7:40:50 pm

And I will review all my IP settings and how the computer is setup to make sure. I believe we are running the latest firmware, but I will check that as well. Thanks for the tips.

Matt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2011 at 6:45:46 pm

[Matt Gerard] "There is a delay/lag, and several times I've had the unit lock up while trying to control/playback from the web interface. "

I've never had a problem with the GUI at all. I use it almost all the time. I do usually run it direct connected through a laptop, though, with default IP.

[Matt Gerard] "Not sure if they all do this, but ours will stop recording when there is 10% left on the card. Boom, your're done. "

Yes, they all do it. If you are in the middle of a long interview, I assume you mean "Boom you're done" when the Ki stops rolling and you have to stop or you miss part of the action? Then yes, boom you're done as in not recording anymore. You would then have to wait for the file to close (which might take a while on a long clip) and then switch the slot. My point is, you have to manually manage the record times on the Ki if using longer takes/interviews/timelapse. This is not clear and operates different than what most people are used to in tapeless camera systems. It is definitely worth the note for someone who is just sitting down to the Ki for the first time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 18, 2011 at 7:36:17 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I've never had a problem with the GUI at all. I use it almost all the time. I do usually run it direct connected through a laptop, though, with default IP."

That's how I had it hooked up, direct, not through a hub, switch, etc. I thin kit might be a combo of old computer and impatient operator (read:Me). We now trigger record via the SDI trigger from the af100. Its actually nice to have recording on the internal SDI cards AND the KiPro mini. Saved our butts the first test shoot when they turned on the OSD out from the AF100 and it recorded it to the kipro. Was amazing to see that after ingest how close the 2 clips looked! Yes, you could tell which was from the kipro and the af100, but it was still pretty close.

[Jeremy Garchow] "I assume you mean "Boom you're done" when the Ki stops rolling and you have to stop or you miss part of the action? Then yes, boom you're done as in not recording anymore."

Yep, that's what I mean. I mean unlike our HPX2000 with 2 64GB and 3 16GB cards in it recording to AVC-50 where you get gobs of record time, the camera guy or tech needs to once again pay attention to his/her available record times. It was easy to get out of that habit, but we are now back into it. Never should have left, but hey....

And the AF100 will span cards internally, but its an option defaulted to OFF.

[Jeremy Garchow] "It is definitely worth the note for someone who is just sitting down to the Ki for the first time."

Yep, that's why I put it here. Its how we (I) learned it. I am normally pretty intent on reading the manual before using something, but we were rushed this time around. Won't do that again!

All in all I think the unit is pretty solid, just got done with a shoot with almost 400 gb of captures off the KiPro mini, and no blips, no bad clips, no glitches. The thing is pretty solid, and mounts neatly on the rear rails of our AF100 rig. We sandwiched the KiPro between cheese plates and put a vmount battery adapter with 2 dtaps (one for the KiPro, one for the AF100) on one side. And we got the IDX AC100 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/530620-REG/IDX_AC_100_AC_100_On_Camera_AC_Power.html)

So we now only have one power cord running up to the camera when running on AC instead of the floor warts that come with the kipro and the af100. Pretty slick.

Matt

Return to posts index

Mark CC Knobil
on Jun 4, 2011 at 10:09:09 pm

Looking forward to your evaluation!

I am a new owner, and am having some issues. Are they the normal, or are they an anomaly?

1. Occasional unexpected shut down with "Battery Low" warning" ... when battery is not low ..

2. After such a shut down there have been occasions where the unit is re-set to "Custom Clip ON" which makes the unit re-record over the previous take. (!)

3. Runs very hot ... sizzeling.

BTW .. I am not having trouble keeping track of card usage ... I use 32 GB cards, and change them out with the tapes that I am running for back-up.

=mark=
DP Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh!

Mark Knobil
Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh!

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on May 18, 2011 at 4:45:49 pm

You may wish to consult the following link to be sure that you are using the latest firmware for the product:
http://www.aja.com/support/ki-pro/ki-pro-mini.php

The Release Notes for the latest version 2.5 firmware can be found here:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/ReleaseNotes_KiProMini_v2.5.pdf

The latest version of the Ki Pro Mini Manual version 2.5 can be found here:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/AJA_Ki_Pro_Mini_Manual_v2.5.pdf

For the latest list of qualified CF cards that can be used with the Ki Pro Mini visit:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/KiProMini_qualifiedCF_cards.pdf

For a Ki Pro Mini mounting options document visit:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/Ki_Pro_Mini_Mounting_Options.pdf

If you have any questions about the Ki Pro Mini, you can feel free to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email for assistance:
http://www.aja.com/support/contact-support.php

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:20:31 am

[Tim Maloney] "Next Monday in Melbourne we will be having a swift look at the Ki Pro mini at our facility."

What happened with the test Tim?

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]