FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja Ki Pro Mini

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tawfiq Rahman
Aja Ki Pro Mini
on May 13, 2011 at 7:47:59 pm

Hi All,

I am planning to buy 5 ki pro mini for a 5 ISO-CAM shoot and planning to use the gang recording for all 5 of them together so that I can start/stop recording from a single click.

Did anyone tried 5 Mini gang recording / control as yet?

I was reading on a thread here that mini's drop frames, is that a general fact for the mini's?

Tawfiq

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
Re: Aja Ki Pro Mini
on May 13, 2011 at 8:33:10 pm

Please contact me privately as we have 10 in stock.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404

ron@maxxdigital.com

http://www.maxxdigital.com

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on May 14, 2011 at 1:18:08 am

We believe that the end user who experienced a gang recording issue experienced that issue because Ki Pro units as well as Ki Pro Mini units with differing firmware versions were used together. You should be able to properly use gang recording for Ki Pro Mini units (as opposed to a mix of Ki Pros and Ki Pro Minis) with matching firmware on all of the units; as an example, all units would use version 2.5 firmware. Recent testing of Ki Pro Mini units here at AJA shows that this is functioning as expected.

You should refer to the Ki Pro Mini Manual and documentation, but here are some helpful hints regarding gang recording:

1) You will find it easiest to keep track of each Ki Pro Mini unit if you give it a distinct and unique name; in other words, for each Ki Pro Mini System Name, assign a name like "Camera 1" for one unit and "Camera 2" for another unit, etc.

2) Only use static IP addresses for the units in the gang; using fixed IP addresses makes managing a group of units easier.

3) Assign logical and unique IP addresses to each unit; the default static IP address for each unit "out of the box" is 192.168.0.2, so you may find it easiest to simply assign the second unit the IP address 192.168.0.3, etc.

4) Use an ethernet hub/switch with basic functionality; some more advanced ethernet products have settings that, while helpful for handling data traffic in a facility, etc., aren't as useful for this basic type of operation and may just create a layer of complexity that isn't necessary.

5) Using a timecode generator is advisable; simple, inexpensive timecode generators can be obtained from companies like Horita, etc. Along with the timecode generator, AJA also recommends using a simple and inexpensive timecode distribution amplifier for routing timecode to all of the Ki Pro Mini units.

6) If you are planning on using a switcher/mixer as a video source (as opposed to a camera feed) for any of the Ki Pro Mini units, please be aware that some switchers/mixers, when switching signals, may cause the Ki Pro Mini to stop recording. Ki Pro Mini is designed to stop recording when a loss of video or format change is detected. Test the use of any switcher/mixer carefully and consider placing a frame sync in the path between a switcher/mixer and the Ki Pro Mini if you are using such a device as part of a multi-unit recording.

As with any configuration, it is good to test things prior to your event. If you have any questions or need clarification, don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support for assistance.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Tawfiq Rahman
on May 14, 2011 at 8:08:17 am

Thanks Aja sales/support.

Thanks Ron.

I will use a cheap hub to use the web interface of the mini's and I will also make sure that they all are running the same F/W version. But you didn't mention anything regarding the frame drop issue, please advice.

As for the sync and/or recording break issue, here is a brief on how I am planning to use them; I will use a Ross video crossover solo switcher to do the online production, and I will use the sync output of the mixer with a DA to the cameras, the SD-SDI signal from the cameras will be directly connected to the mini's input and the output of the mini's will go to the input of the switcher. I will use a Horita TG-50 or a Denecke GR-1 to generate TC and a Horita VDA-50 will distribute the TC to the Mini's. So system should be sharing the same sync and TC, I believe if i do this way, the recording/sync will not break even if I switch between different inputs.

The only issue will be a frame drop during the recording at any point, I am worried!

Regards,

Tawfiq

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on May 14, 2011 at 10:14:55 pm

I have kind of the same setup as yours, with the difference that I use a Blackmagic 16x16 matrix in between my Camera's, Ki Pros and crossover mixer.
For the handheld camera's and wireless unit I use the AUX1-4 outputs of the mixer to route the signal to the KiPro's. This way to avoid that when somebody swaps a battery or the wiress looses a frame that the KiPro's stop recording. I hope that new firmware comes out soon to avoid this work around.
I did serveral ISO recordings this way. I loop-through the LTC. I have not seen delays doing that.
The HD-SDI in-out delay is very good too (but I don't use it that way).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]