FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja Ki Pro with the alexa

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Greger
Aja Ki Pro with the alexa
on May 3, 2011 at 8:27:12 pm

I am using the Alexa Camera and shooting 23.976 fps. I cant get the Ki Pro to loop through to an HD Monitor. Is there something I need to know about the Alexa?

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: Aja Ki Pro with the alexa
on May 3, 2011 at 8:46:29 pm

If the ARRI Alexa is producing 1080PsF 23.98, then you can use the Ki Pro's active outputs to feed monitors, etc. without issue.

If the ARRI Alexa is producing 1080p 23.98 (true progressive as opposed to PsF), then you may need to contact AJA Technical Support for a beta firmware version that provides EE/input passthrough. Currently, Ki Pro supports 1080p 23.98 for recording and playback, but there is minor EE/input passthrough issue with the public release firmware.

You can determine what format and frame rate the Ki Pro is receiving if you select the STATUS button on the Ki Pro.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Tom Greger
on May 3, 2011 at 11:29:46 pm

Thanks so much. That has got me picture but now as of the last 20 minutes the picture seems to be shaking all over the place. I cant seem to lose the shake no matter what......

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on May 4, 2011 at 5:49:02 am

Since you haven't stated what the STATUS menu is reporting (1080PsF 23.98 or 1080p 23.98) it's hard to determine what you are seeing. You should consider contacting AJA Technical Support for additional assistance.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Tom Greger
on May 4, 2011 at 12:44:57 pm

I apologize for the lack of info. Originally we were shooting on the Alexa at 23.976fps 1080 progressive and I couldn't get picture at all. When we changed it to 23.976 1080 Psf, I got a great picture at first but the it got very shaky within the 1st 5 minutes. I kept powering it off but no difference. When I got home I used another HD source and the picture was fine. If must have something to do with the Alexa. I have used this camera alot but most of the time there is a DIT on set. These guys do t really know this camera very well. Any info could help tremendously. Thank you very much for taking time to help me out. Tom

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 4, 2011 at 3:30:38 pm

Shaky how? Are you used to seeing 1080 psf 23.976 on a monitor? There can be some flicker if you aren't used to it, and I should add if it got better over time, perhaps your eyes were adjusted by that point. Also, are you running genlock at all?

What monitor are you using?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 5, 2011 at 12:56:43 pm

[Tom Greger] "Originally we were shooting on the Alexa at 23.976fps 1080 progressive and I couldn't get picture at all."

thats becuase there is a huge difference between P as shot and PsF as progressive is delivered.
First guess was the montior you were using did not support a true progressive signal ( was it a CRT?) or were you monitoriing out via the HDMI (psf is not a supported HDMI protocol)

If the KiPro was set to record as Normal- the content would be recorded correctly. but understand that the transport stream for 1080 materials is ALWAYS interlace, even if shot progressive.

" When I got home I used another HD source and the picture was fine. If must have something to do with the Alexa."
See I do not see an issue with the camera, I see an operator issue without understanding the full setting of the camera and display to accuse the camera of an error is a little short sited, as you say the content looks fine- my guess is that you had something setup incorrectly- like shooting progressive when you really need PsF.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]