FORUMS: list search recent posts

CAUTION-2.5 settings

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Salley
CAUTION-2.5 settings
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:20:43 am

Using the Ki Pro Mini as a backup (fortunately), I discovered that if you have the CUSTOM TAKE NAME setting to ON, but the CUSTOM TAKE NUMBER to OFF, the Ki Pro Mini will record only one file to the card and keep using the same name, AUTOMATICALLY ERASING all previous takes.

I can see why this would occur but there should be an override to prevent this from happening because who would ever want to automatically erase file on a card.

This behavior did not occur with the prior release of firmware.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.3 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: CAUTION-2.5 settings
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:04:20 pm

The behavior of Custom Clip Take is the same with the initial firmware as it is with the new version 2.5 firmware. The Ki Pro Mini operation manual contains a 'CAUTION' icon and clear details about this feature on page 33 of the manual:
------
Caution!
If a custom name is not changed and the "Custom Clip Take" parameter is not enabled, an existing clip can be overwritten on the disk. Example: the first recording made is called "Flying" and the "Custom Clip Take" parameter is not enabled and the user does not enter a new value for the custom clip name and leaves "Flying" entered, the first recording will be overwritten by the second recording. AJA does not typically recommend disabling the use of the custom clip take, but in some situations, overwriting an existing file may be desirable.
------

The default value for the Custom Clip Take is for it to be enabled, 'ON', and recordings will have names like "Flying_1", "Flying_2", and so on. In order for the user to erase clips, the user has to change/disable the take numbering in the Custom Clip Take MEDIA menu parameter.

If you have additional questions or need more assistance understanding the operation of the Ki Pro Mini or it's menus, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:34:31 am

[AJA Sales Department] "AJA does not typically recommend disabling the use of the custom clip take, but in some situations, overwriting an existing file may be desirable."

I cannot imagine any situation where automatically erasing a file in the field is desirable.

I mainly posted this to warn others users who, like myself, may not have photographic memory of every page of every piece of gear they may own. Something as catastrophic as automatically erasing previous clips should be noted on the first page of the manual in a real big font, or better yet, having that possibility eliminated from the function of the device.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.3 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:57:36 pm

The ability to override an existing clip that had previously been recorded was requested by a number of end users of the Ki Pro products. This is why the feature was added. Again, only user selections can enable this function; obviously it is not the default behavior of the device.

I'm sorry if you weren't clear about the feature and the operation but, as noted in this thread, there is a large red "Caution" icon and specific information regarding the operation of this feature in both the Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini operation manuals.

If you are unsure how a product feature works, it's always wise to consult the operation manual for the product prior to use. If you have additional questions or concerns about a particular operation, AJA Technical Support can be contacted free of charge via phone or email to answer such questions.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Mark CC Knobil
on May 4, 2011 at 8:07:31 pm

Ouch! That is kind of a cold response from AJA Sales ....
Anyone else from AJA want to say something along the lines of ..
"Gosh! We should help find a way that people don't make that mistake!"

Mark Knobil
Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh!

Return to posts index

Richard Boghosian
on May 25, 2011 at 6:46:31 pm

Rudeness aside, the rocket scientist engineers have disabled the audio playback of the KiPro mini with this 2.5 firmware. Back to 2.1

Richard Boghosian
Bogh AV Productions

FCP 7.03 MacPro 8Gb ram Matrox MXO 2 Max

Return to posts index

Steve Cocklin
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:51:23 pm

I was bitten by the same problem this past weekend; luckily I was using the F3 and double recording onto XDCAM SxS cards and doing my own media management. When I was offloading the first CF card I saw I only had one file on the card when there should have been 9. I stopped shooting and finally figured out what was going on. I know there is no excuse that you need to read the manual but I agree with Will Salley “I cannot imagine any situation where automatically erasing a file in the field is desirable”. Rental departments that rent the Ki Pro out sometimes may send the unit out without the 76 page instruction manual.
While we are on the subject of changes I have two other suggestions for Sales at AJA. A key lockout would be nice seeing when I’m operating the Ki Pro on my shoulder my head has from time to time bumped the keys and shut down the recorder and also some type of visual reference that when using a external evf on the camera the Ki Pro mini will send a visual reference to the evf telling you the card is full and that the Ki Pro has stopped recording.
As for sales no being very nice, I have not had any contact with them but I’ve been in touch with the tech support people at AJA and have to say they are some of the most helpful folks I’ve ever run into in the industry.

Return to posts index

Steve Cocklin
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:22:37 pm

Ki Pro Mini Firmware update 2.6 has corrected the Custom Clip Issue.

The up date can be found at:
http://www.aja.com/support/ki-pro/ki-pro-mini.php

Improvements and Fixes
• Removed the CUSTOM CLIP TAKE parameter from the Custom Clip Naming due to user confusion regarding functionality. Users can still create clips with custom names, but the names will always be appended with a take number.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]