FORUMS: list search recent posts

Next Ki Pro Firmware Update

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Charity
Next Ki Pro Firmware Update
on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:41:40 am

Hi all,

I was wondering when the next firmware update was due out for the original Ki Pro. The unit has been out for about 2 years now and I certainly hope Aja is planning on continuing support for their recorder. It seems most of the spotlight is now on the Ki Pro Mini (it being so new and all.)

I read in a post that they were possibly adding an upgrade that would allow continuous recording over time code breaks and format changes (regardless whether or not there actually were any.) I've been on set too many times when the unit will just decide for whatever reason that the signal is invalid and just stop recording. I use the unit for video assist work and for the most part its worked like a charm.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Mark Rule
Re: Next Ki Pro Firmware Update
on Apr 24, 2011 at 6:34:30 am

I would certainly like to see AJA release another update that enables the functionality that has been promised - ie FireWire port on the back, Express slots on the front - plus fix any existing issues. I've previously posted about a timecode issue with PAL files - and emailed AJA support twice about the problem with no response so far.

It does make me wonder how much attention the KiPro is getting from AJA at the moment.

That said, the KiPro is still a very capable recorder with a lot of existing functionality that is hard to find on devices costing a lot more.

But still, there are other devices coming on the market now that look very attractive - and we're still waiting for AJA to 'finish' the KiPro - so it's probably about time (after 2 years) that they just got on with it!

Mark

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Apr 24, 2011 at 7:26:49 pm

The original Ki Pro product continues to receive feature development efforts. The Ki Pro Mini was not designed to replace the original Ki Pro, but to provide a more compact recorder as an option.

Regarding the issue reported with respect to timecode value displayed, I would suggest contacting AJA Technical Support again as that issue was not replicated. They may need more information about your particular configuration and workflow.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Mark Rule
on Apr 24, 2011 at 9:36:51 pm

Its good to know that work is still being done on the original KiPro - but how about some more information - which features and when?

Re the timecode issue - as I said, I have emailed AJA technical support twice about the problem (several weeks ago now) - and received ZERO response so far, so its all very well to say contact technical support again - but if they are not going to respond, what should I do! Very frustrating!

Mark

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:42:25 am

If you haven't received a reply via email, it's possible that the emails were not received. While uncommon, this is possible. Perhaps contacting AJA Technical Support via phone might be advisable.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Gary Snyder
on May 13, 2011 at 2:29:09 pm

If you check the boards, I complained about this late last year..
and have been e-mailing and in conversation with AJA to fix this
issue. They are aware of it, I just don't why they have not invested the time to update the software..

We just did a multi-camera shoot and we used P-2 recorders because of
their ability to record over - routing switcher changes.

All traditional VTR's and P-2,and the Cinedeck recorders have the ability to continue recording. The KiPro is still problematic with that..

Perhaps it is a problem that AJA just can't fix.. hence the delay.

Gary

Gary C. Snyder
President / Engineer
Clark Media
610-694-9800
HD rentals in New York and Philadelphia
Panasonic, Sony and Arri Alexa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]