FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro Mini for old (H) model Varicam

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Greene
Ki Pro Mini for old (H) model Varicam
on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:30:26 am

I have a tape based Varicam that I don't use that much now, but it's become an orphan since there are no Videotapes available due to the crisis in Japan.

I have a job coming up in a week or so, and thought I just might buy the mini. A few questions:

Can the mini record just the 23.98 flagged frames from the Varicam and play them back on a monitor? Or does it it only record at 59.97fps requiring the removal of frames during editing?

What if I shoot off speed, such as 35fps? How does it handle this?

Is there an AB battery mount so that the mini can mount to the camera battery mount and place the AB battery on the back side of the mini?

How does one download the CF cards and verify that the data is good before re-using the cards?

Anyone have one for sale ready to ship?

And anything else anyone can add :)

Thanks so much,
Bruce

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: Ki Pro Mini for old (H) model Varicam
on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:50:39 pm

The Ki Pro Mini can extract 23.98 fps from within the 59.94 fps from a Varicam HD-SDI output. It can also record at 59.94 fps. A menu selection for Record Type on the Ki Pro Mini allows the selection of VFR or Normal. If you record 23.98 fps via the VFR selection, it can be transferred to the non-linear editing system and edited at that speed. If you want to simply play back material you've recorded at 23.98 fps, the Ki Pro Mini will pad out the frames so that you can play out to video monitors at the standard 720p 59.94 fps video rate.

Off-speed rates, such as the one you listed, are not yet supported. The Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini support 720p 23.98 fps extraction from within 720p 59.94, 720p 29.97 fps from within 720p 59.94 fps and 720p 25 fps from within 720p 50 fps.

The AB mount "studs" for use with the KI Pro Mini mounting plate are still in development, so as an alternative, you might consider using the wireless mounting slots on the optional mounting plate attached to a wireless mic plate with 3mm/4mm screws on the side of the camera. You can also use a variety of clamps and articulated arms with the optional mounting plate. You can see examples in this document from the AJA website:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/Ki_Pro_Mini_Mounting_Options.pdf

Most of the Varicam and ENG-sized camcorders have a battery plate with a tap output. This tap output can be used to power the Ki Pro Mini via a p-tap to 4-pin XLR adapter. Or you could elect to provide separate power to the Ki Pro Mini if you wish via a dedicated battery.

CF cards can be downloaded easily using a FireWire 800 or USB CF card reader attached to the host computer. There are data verification applications provided by third parties that can be used with the HFS+ formatted Ki Pro media.

Check with your local AJA reseller(s) for product availability. Demand for the units is very high and AJA is working to fulfill the backlog of orders for the units as quickly as possible.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
Re: Ki Pro Mini for old (H) model Varicam
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:30:51 pm

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone has one for rent please let me know.

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]